BugsPest Control

Ladybugs in the House

Category Bugs

I have a problem with ladybugs! I am staying in a cabin up in Tennessee with my family and just today I noticed something, one tiny little ladybug. Then, I saw another, then 3 more, then 5 more, then 20 more!

We are only in the cabin for a few days, so we can't tape the doors or anything. There are so many! I'm not sure if they came from the Christmas tree or the windows, or whatever. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help!

By Nikki from TN

Best Answer

They are a pest aren't they? Beings it is winter time, you may not feel like crawling under the house to set insect repellant bomb sprays around, but that has worked for us over the years. In the meantime, get pour a bit of PineSol into a glass jar with lid (so they can't crawl out) In a few seconds, the beetles die. The PineSol is strong enough to cover the odor the beetles release and when you get enough beetles in the jar, just flush the contents into the commode and start all over again. It's a bit of a nuisance, but you will do better at getting more of them if a lamplight is left on as this type of beetle heads where there's more lighting.

Best Answer

Lady bugs are harmless and beneficial as they eat other bugs. They come in the house looking for a warm spot for the winter. I just sweep them up and toss them out side. Do not crush them. They give off an odor if crushed.

Anonymous

They bite! I have had 3 open sores from getting bit while sleeping! My doctor has,also been bit by them!

Anonymous

I sweep them up in my dustpan and flush down the toilet

Anonymous

These are not lady bugs!! There is a difference.

Lady bugs, (Lady beetles) are not the same thing as Asian beetles. Asian beetles bite and stink when you swat them or vacuum them up. Lady bugs are beneficial and don't swarm like Asian beetles. They are getting a bad rap because of the Asian beetles.

Yeah right harmless until they crawl into your bed and bite you! I've only seen two in my house but just plucked one off my body at work!

I remember ladybug swarms! One ladybug is cute, dozens of them not so much. But they're harmless at least.

Since you're only there for a few days I'd just make sure your suitcases are zipped up so you don't take any unwanted guests home. I wouldn't bother with sprays, you'd just be fighting a losing battle. If they can come in they will.

They might not be ladybugs, they could be Japanese beetles. The ladybugs are red, Japanese beetles are more orangey red. They do bite and when smashed they stink. They are very hard to get rid of. I even find one in my house now and then and it is in the middle of winter.

Lady Bugs are different than Chinese Beetle. LB good, CB not. CB likes warmth, turn on a ceiling light. We use the vacuum wand and suck them up, toss back outdoors.

Ladybugs will get up into the attics and walls of structure to sleep out the winter. Warmth from the cabin has gotten them active, in turn they found their way inside the home, they are not helping by eating any insects around the cabin and they are not looking for a warm spot, they found a cold spot out of the harsh outside that now turned warm.

What people call Asian beetles, Chinese Beetles or Japanese beetles are as much of a ladybug as what we grew up with, just a species from Asia, they actually are better eaters than our native species. One other thought, you described them as tiny, which is usually not used, there is a tiny ladybug shaped beetle, but it is not red / orange, called Varied Carpet Beetle.

Lar-licensed PCO

This past summer, I used dixie cups, or other very small containers, filled them about 1/3 to 1/2 full of grape jelly and set in the window sills. Over time, this homemade device will trap a whole lot of ladybugs. This doesn't take care of all the ladybugs that get into our house, but it definitely has helped more than anything else we've tried. This spring I'll try butstop, and spray this around the window screens, foundation, etc.