Ladybugs in the House

I have a problem with ladybugs! I am staying in a cabin up in Tennessee with my family and just today I noticed something, one tiny little ladybug. Then, I saw another, then 3 more, then 5 more, then 20 more!

We are only in the cabin for a few days, so we can't tape the doors or anything. There are so many! I'm not sure if they came from the Christmas tree or the windows, or whatever. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help!

By Nikki from TN

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

They are a pest aren't they? Beings it is winter time, you may not feel like crawling under the house to set insect repellant bomb sprays around, but that has worked for us over the years. In the meantime, get pour a bit of PineSol into a glass jar with lid (so they can't crawl out) In a few seconds, the beetles die. The PineSol is strong enough to cover the odor the beetles release and when you get enough beetles in the jar, just flush the contents into the commode and start all over again. It's a bit of a nuisance, but you will do better at getting more of them if a lamplight is left on as this type of beetle heads where there's more lighting.

Best Answer

Lady bugs are harmless and beneficial as they eat other bugs. They come in the house looking for a warm spot for the winter. I just sweep them up and toss them out side. Do not crush them. They give off an odor if crushed.

They bite! I have had 3 open sores from getting bit while sleeping! My doctor has,also been bit by them!

I sweep them up in my dustpan and flush down the toilet

These are not lady bugs!! There is a difference.

Lady bugs, (Lady beetles) are not the same thing as Asian beetles. Asian beetles bite and stink when you swat them or vacuum them up. Lady bugs are beneficial and don't swarm like Asian beetles. They are getting a bad rap because of the Asian beetles.

I remember ladybug swarms! One ladybug is cute, dozens of them not so much. But they're harmless at least.

Since you're only there for a few days I'd just make sure your suitcases are zipped up so you don't take any unwanted guests home. I wouldn't bother with sprays, you'd just be fighting a losing battle. If they can come in they will.

They might not be ladybugs, they could be Japanese beetles. The ladybugs are red, Japanese beetles are more orangey red. They do bite and when smashed they stink. They are very hard to get rid of. I even find one in my house now and then and it is in the middle of winter.

Lady Bugs are different than Chinese Beetle. LB good, CB not. CB likes warmth, turn on a ceiling light. We use the vacuum wand and suck them up, toss back outdoors.

Ladybugs will get up into the attics and walls of structure to sleep out the winter. Warmth from the cabin has gotten them active, in turn they found their way inside the home, they are not helping by eating any insects around the cabin and they are not looking for a warm spot, they found a cold spot out of the harsh outside that now turned warm.

What people call Asian beetles, Chinese Beetles or Japanese beetles are as much of a ladybug as what we grew up with, just a species from Asia, they actually are better eaters than our native species. One other thought, you described them as tiny, which is usually not used, there is a tiny ladybug shaped beetle, but it is not red / orange, called Varied Carpet Beetle.

Lar-licensed PCO

This past summer, I used dixie cups, or other very small containers, filled them about 1/3 to 1/2 full of grape jelly and set in the window sills. Over time, this homemade device will trap a whole lot of ladybugs. This doesn't take care of all the ladybugs that get into our house, but it definitely has helped more than anything else we've tried. This spring I'll try butstop, and spray this around the window screens, foundation, etc.

June 2, 2011 Flag

I'm using petroleum jelly (generic brand) and baby oil instead of caulking to keep ladybugs out of my home. The petroleum jelly is used around the window sills and openings. The jelly is easily applied with a Q-tip, Popsicle stick, hand-held plastic plastic disperser, or whatever is handy and won't damage surface during application. These ladies can't get a grip or penetrate the jelly.

Also, I use the baby oil (generic brand, of course) to squirt on the windows internal string rods that raise and lower windows, just to keep these bugs from being able to climb up through. Ta Da! Good Job!

By ccgl from PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 27, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know how to limit or eliminate the constant ladybug infestation (they come inside and die) that occurs every winter in our southern windows? I am not sure if there are nests in the walls, does anyone know?

The main house is 100 years old, but the infestation seems particularly bad this year and each day we have upwards of 50 ladybugs in the same windows. Thanks. Any help appreciated.

By Rustica from Lusby, MD

Answers:

Ladybugs in the House

You have to spray the outside of your house where they come in. Around windows and doors, where the house meets the foundation and anywhere else you can find cracks. Find a spray that uses the ingredient "cypermethrin". The insects will die when they come in contact with it. (02/16/2010)

By Patty Lynn

Ladybugs in the House

http://www.ehow.com/how_4707970_keep-ladybugs-out-of-house.html (02/20/2010)

By MrsA1126

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 15, 2010 Flag

How do I get rid of ladybugs from my bedroom?

Bonnie from Lascassas, TN

Answers:

Ladybugs in the House

Ladybugs are harmless to humans. Sweep them up and deposit outside. Then look for the entrances they come in through and seal them. (02/19/2009)

By Harry

Ladybugs in the House

I don't know why people get upset about Ladybugs, they're supposed to be lucky. Why not gather them up, if they're still alive, and put them out in the yard. They're good for eating bugs. I feel that it's wrong to kill them since they are a "good" bug. Now if you were talking about roaches, that's another story. Think about getting them together and put them on a plant, please. (02/20/2009)

By Dee

Ladybugs in the House

You actually can put a clean vacuum bag in your vacuum, vacuum them up, then put a Ziploc baggy over the hole of the vacuum bag and allow them to go into the Ziploc baggy and sell them to farmers or on eBay. You can also freeze them then thaw them later and sell them. They are harmless and they kill aphids on plants. (07/12/2009)

By canyon

Ladybugs in the House

Just sweep em up and let them go.
Here's why: pestcemetery.com (10/23/2009)

By Dutch 1962

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 19, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know how to get rid of ladybugs? We have lots of them in our house! Thanks!

Tricia A. Farnham, VA

Answers:

Ladybugs in the House

These beetles can be controlled using an insect bomb I've found at dollar stores, about 3 or 4 cans approx. $5.00 and put in the crawl space of your house several feet away from each other. This also kills the spiders. What few beetles that do get indoors, I put in a glass jar with lid half filled with PineSol and water. It kills them instantly and if you use a vacuum, their odor lingers and is unhealthy and you can smell it when you use your vacuum again. The beetles linger on the sunny side of our home and come in that way and are attracted by lamp light.
(01/11/2008)

By Lorelei

Ladybugs in the House

I got some spray from Wal-Mart called Bug Stop. I think that they have it at Lowe's too. I sprayed it on the outside screens where they were coming in, and on doors. It has kept them away for 2 years. It's the only thing that I've found that works. (01/11/2008)

By Elizabeth

Ladybugs in the House

I used a circle of duct tape with the sticky side out on a long stick, pole or mop handle. This will reach many places. Touch it to lady beetles. Don't push real hard or tape will stick in tough places to get off.
When done or to reload, fold tape with bug inside. Don't squash-they stink.
Good luck (01/11/2008)

Ladybugs in the House

Everyone really has a real problem with these. I get maybe 20 ladybugs during the winter. You guys are going to hate me, but I just leave them alone, poor things will die on their own. Now, none of mine have ever bitten..that is something new to me! Maybe I just have plain old ladybugs. (01/12/2008)

Ladybugs in the House

I had the same problem while living in an apartment in Riverdale in The Bronx (believe it or not) some years ago. I found my windows covered with them. I contacted the Bronx Botanical Gardens and they suggested that I collect the bugs, put them in a safe container and place them in the refrigerator (not the freezer) for the winter. I did and one morning late in the following spring, I released them onto the window sill (outside) and, lo and behold, if they didn't revive and fly away! (01/12/2008)

By sheilamay

Ladybugs in the House

You could make money and sell these lady bugs to green houses.The lady bugs work great for aphids on plants.
I wish I had lots of lady bugs for my green house.:) (01/30/2008)

By smilingfaces88

RE: Ladybugs in the House

Ladybugs in the House

I contacted a bug expert about these pests and I was told that they are not ladybugs. They are Japanese beetles that were introduced in our area to control a type of larvae. Since then, they have bred with our common ladybug and YES THEY DO BITE! They are an orange color rather than red like our ladybug. Anyway, the expert said to use bug bombs in the attic where they nest. So I did and it worked! (02/11/2008)

By alderman1956

Ladybugs in the House

We have a big infestation. We don't know what to do, we have caught over 200 lady bugs and put them in a bug box. We are going to the forest and letting them go. Is there an easier way than all this catching about 200 a day and then letting them go? I've read that they lay over 1000 eggs in their lives. (10/11/2008)

By city girl in country

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 11, 2008 Flag

I am wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of ladybugs within the house? Any good home remedies out there?

Mandi from Erie

Answers:

Ladybugs in the House

I have the same problem, sometimes hundreds of them! Mine aren't lady bugs but something like them; little beetles that look like lady bugs, but mine bite!

I don't know what to use to kill them off, but as soon as I see them I pull out the vaccuum and suck 'em up! That is the best advise I have...LOL. It seems like when I do this, the problem starts to get better, but once they hibernate for the winter, but they come right back...just as many!

(03/13/2006)

By katieandjeffy

Ladybugs in the House

I did a little reseach online on these pests a few months ago. We have them very badly here in southern Ohio. They are beetles that eat the aphids on soybean plants. That is why they seem to disappear part of the year. If you watch, as soon as the soybean fields are harvested they start coming back to visit you :) . They search for cover for the winter. They don't reproduce in your home. They only reproduce in the soybean fields. They have no natural enemy .. what would eat them? They stink very badly when squished! I have tried almost everything imaginable, Amish recommended to sit out bay leaves ... doesn't work....I heard vanilla candles ..yeah right!! I did find that they are sensitive to one insecticide. It is permethrin. I found it in Grant's Ant and Spider killer granules and Ant and Roach spray. I planning on sprinkling the granules around the perimeter of the house after they leave for the soybean fields and see what happens. Other then that, the only remedy is a vacuum and seal up areas where they can come into the house. Their bites aren't poisonous, just ouch. I believe they were brought here to help the soybean crops, but got out of hand. Also, wild turkeys were supposed to be their natural predator, but I guess our turkeys have a selective palate ! Good luck !! (03/14/2006)

By hvnlyhlls

Ladybugs in the House

Ok I just did a search and this is what I came up with...

They are called Asian Lady Beetles. Yes, they were brought here to eat aphids and other things. They can lay up to 50 eggs per day...that is just crazy...lol.

***This is a copied article***

Both in the Spring and the Fall many experience what may be considered a Ladybug Invasion of thier home. This seems to be a very common problem from fall to spring in some parts of the country. The Ladybugs (or Asian Lady Beetle) have found winter shelter inside your home. Your best defense for next year it to try to seal up every little crack where they might make their way into your house. There is an interesting article about removing ladybugs from inside the house on The Beneficial Insect Co. Website. They suggest using slices of fresh apples to attract them to one area and then sweep/vacuum them up, then relocate them outside away from the house some place where there is shelter. The Ladybugs are just looking for a warm place to winter, and in the spring they may be trying to get out of your house."

***This is also copied from the web***

This October Wisconsin has been invaded by swarms of "ladybugs" like the ones shown in this photograph. Lady beetles are predatory beetles that feed on aphids and other soft-bodied plant eating insects. Although we have several species of ladybugs in Wisconsin, the species most abundant now is the Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle, a native of China, Japan, and other parts of Asia. As the inset in the enlarged photo shows, individuals vary considerably in color from yellow orange to dark red, and can have 0 to 10 dark colored spots on each of the 2 wing covers. It is sometimes called the "Halloween" lady beetle because individuals are often pumpkin colored and are most commonly encountered during October. The species was introduced into California in 1916 and reintroduced in the eastern US and Canada several times between 1977 and 1980 to control aphids. The first reports from Wisconsin were in 1992. Asian Multicolored Lady Beetles are particularly abundant here this year because of an outbreak of another Asian native, a soybean aphid. In their native habitat the beetles often gather together in the fall and hibernate in cracks on sunny cliffs, which may be why they are attracted to light colored walls and siding. Although they release an orange smelly defense chemical and might give a pinch-like bite if trapped, they are not poisonous and do not transmit diseases. Most entomologists agree that pesticides are NOT very effective in controlling aggregating ladybugs. The best advice for coping with swarms of these insects is to be patient, they will be gone in a couple of weeks. Commercially bought or home made light traps and vacuuming are the reccommended methods for removing ladybugs that get inside the house. Ladybugs that get into your house will eventually die because the humidity is too low. Applying pesticides now will only be expensive for you and add poisons to your yard and house. Indoor pesticides are ineffective because the beetles are hiding in inaccessible areas in the walls,. Outdoor preventative chemicals only work if applied before the beetles begin to congregate so application now is also ineffective. Stop up cracks in screens and vacuum or sweep the ladybugs under bushes or against walls, especially near gardens, where they can overwinter and help control insect pests in the spring. Because they eat the same food as other lady beetles, the most serious concern about the Asian Multicolored Lady Beetles is that they may outcompete and cause a decrease in the biodiversity of our 350+ native species (03/14/2006)

By katieandjeffy

Ladybugs in the House

I put up the plastic over my windows for the winter. i have lady bug skeltons in between the plastic and the wiindow. some have gotten out and they fly around the house. i have decided i am going to vacuum all the windows then take out the blinds with someone helping me and wash them then wash windows and plug up all the holes betweeen screen and window frame. I will hope for the best. (03/15/2006)

By sandy

Ladybugs in the House

Ladybugs ladybugs I live in Wisconsin and we have a lot. We live in a Mobile home and I put Bay Leaves in the tracks and it worked pretty good. I also found out that the fly strips that you hang up catches them. I cut the strip in half and lay in track of window. I also found that the Bathroom cleaner from the dollar store works great for spraying on you screens. Angie (03/17/2006)

By pauley

Ladybugs in the House

I read on another site, try shallow tubs with water in the bottom, add a bit of sugar and a few drops of soap. Safe in the house, non toxic. Bugs land and drown. They were attacking my building, I sprinkled raid flea powder all around the edges of the walls, kills ants ladybugs whatever crawls through it. Good luck (03/26/2006)

By bud

Ladybugs in the House

Palmolive dishsoap works great...just water it down, put in a spray bottle and soak them! It's a little messy on your windows, but at least it's not toxic. (03/30/2006)

By gsdgirl

Ladybugs in the House

I am so sick of these bugs. As soon as the sun shines through the windows, I get these lady bugs coming out of the wood work. One day I was minding my own business, cleaning my kitchen, when I feel a sting on my neck. It was one of those stinky *&% bugs. I have pups so I don't want to spray. My husband bought me a bug zapper for Christmas but they are too heavy to suck up. I just want them to go away.
(04/06/2006)

By Tammy

Ladybugs in the House

We live in Tennessee and have a ladybug problem as well. It's disgusting! We have an older home, built in the 1920s...so our windows are definitley in need of re-sealing. What a project that would be! In the meantime, I just grab the mini vacume (dirt devil) and suck them up. I think the fly strips are a great idea...we'll try that next. Good luck! (10/29/2006)

By A-Led

Ladybugs in the House

Here's a pic of one...They come in the house when soybeans start getting harvested it's around late Sept and Oct here in SD. I've read online that an insecticide called Tempo WP works. It's about 65 dollars for the season I guess. I'm not looking forward to the asian beetle season at all! I think I'd rather invest in insecticide instead of buying vacuum bags. (09/10/2007)

By SDFarmwife

RE: Ladybugs in the House

Ladybugs in the House

We're doing construction on our house and this year the beetles are the worst. Usually we dont spray, but we have a few hundred in our porch. Im gonna try the dish soap method. Hope it works, seems like it stunned some of them so far. (10/18/2007)

By JessandDan

Ladybugs in the House

I mixed dish-soap (generic) and cool water a few hours ago and sprayed the house, it worked very well. Hopefully it lasts but I'm prepared to keep spraying now. Smells fresh at least. (10/18/2007)

By Soapandwater

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Asian Beetles
Getting Rid of Asian Beetles
Home and Garden Pest Control BugsDecember 27, 2010
Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Getting Rid of Lady Bugs
Getting Rid of Lady Bugs
Caring for Pet Ladybugs
Feeding and Caring for Pet Ladybugs
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 1:12:59 AM on 10.0.0.88 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.