Freeze Dumplings for Soup

Did you know you can freeze dumplings? I make homemade dumplings. I roll them out flat, put them in the baking pan I bake biscuits in, let them freeze, then put them in an empty plastic cereal bag. I roll the top down and close it with a clothes pin. When ready to use them, get the broth you will use boiling hot. Break the dumplings into pieces, about an inch square, and drop into broth. This saves lot of time. Good luck.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Hi Kathleen.

Thank you for this tip regarding freezing dumplings. I know that dumplings are one of the easiest and quickest prepared foods we can work with, however, that being said, I've certainly seen the day or evening when I wished I could hurry the process up just a little. I've never tried to freeze dumplings, but I think I'll give it a try.

Would you like to share your personal recipe for making dumplings? My Mother was from Alabama and that wonderful lady made the best drop dumplings in the world. They were so much like her big fluffy biscuits. No matter what I do, I've never been able to equal hers in lightness or flavor.

I've recently begun making what she called "slick" dumplings...very much like the way you described in rolling out and cutting.

Once again, I am inspired.

Thank you so much.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

Thanks a million for your kind note. My recipe is very simple. I never measure, so I'll give you the best way I know how.

1 cup of self-rising flour

1 teaspoon of oil

Add enough water to get flour wet, put out on floured counter top, knead a few minutes until dough is stiff, cut dough in half, roll out flat to about 1/4 inch, then if you want to freeze it do as I mention.

If you want to cook it then cut it into strips about 1 inch, drop in boiling broth. I use chicken broth, makes very good dumplings. Season with salt & black pepper. Do not stir, just shake the pot so they want to stick together, cook about 5 min. They need enough broth so they won't be too dry. Some like to add a diced, boiled egg to dumplings. Do the other half the same way.

For a small family, use less flour. If you have dough left over, sprinkle with garlic powder and bake it for homemade crackers. If you need more info, let me know. Good luck.

Comment

Food and Recipes Freezing SoupMay 24, 2010
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and Dumplings Recipes
Campfire Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and Dumpling Soup Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 4:54:13 PM on 10.0.1.204 in 494 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.