Browsing: House Training a Pitbull

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

House Training a Pitbull

Patience is needed when teaching your puppy to relieve itself in a designated area or outside. This guide is about house training a pitbull.

House Training a Pitbull
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 14, 2010 Flag

I have a 9 week blue nose Pitbull puppy and we are working on house breaking. Its going ok for her age, but the problem I'm running into is I will take her outside and she will go to the bathroom 3-5 times, but then 2 minutes after coming back in the house she is peeing on the floor.

It's always in a different spot and I can spend 5 minutes to 30 minutes and it's always the same. I'm unsure on what to do to stop this, so if anyone has any advise to give, please do.

By j

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have two pit bulls that I have had since they were puppies. When I was housebreaking them, and until they were probably 6 months old, I had to keep the water bowl put up. They would drink and drink and then not be able to hold it to go outside. I would offer them water right before a trip outside many times a day so they wouldn't get dehydrated. Also, make sure you take her outside as soon as she wakes up from a nap, right after she has been running around or playing, and right after she eats. Crate training works great when you are not at home. If done correctly, most dogs come to see their crates as a safe place and will even go there if they are feeling stressed by a situation. Above all, lots of patience and parise.

I agree with putting up the water bowl. You need to control the amount of liquid intake to control the output. Lots of praise for a "JOB" well done and never rub your dog's nose in her mistakes. Remember, patience and persaverance.

I need help. My son got a puppy red nose, Bentley, he is 8 weeks now. He lives with my son and his 2roomates but I sit for him two times a week when he waiters. He brings the pad I put it down but he pees on the rug 3 times and once on pad, my son says the pad should be right in family area near TV, but I think it should be near sliding doors in that same room. Is 8 weeks to young to be trained? And does a pit bull have to be crate trained. Please also tell me they definitely are not vicious if we have from such a young age.

Put a dog training pad away from where he or she sleeps and every time they relieve the dog does on the training pad you give them a treat even when they are outside.

welcome to my world! My blue nose pit is 9 weeks also and I am going thru the same thing! I am however finding that everytime he does this I put him in his cubical. I got a fence that is shaped like a square and he knows when I put him in there is because he does the pooping a peeing in the home. So he is slowly getting bit better, but lord this feels like forever!

June 28, 2013 Flag

I have an 8 month Gotti razor edge blue fawn Pit. She has been an outdoor dog and now I'm having to move into an apartment. I don't want to get rid of her, but don't know where to start potty training her so she can move with me and stay in our family. Any help?

By A.M from CALI

Your dog is already used to going potty outside. That will still be its preference. When you bring it inside just keep it on a leash with you the first few days and give it many opportunities to go outside to potty. Then lots of praise so it knows that's what you wish it to do. If you have to leave it alone you should have a crate for it to stay in. Dogs won't mess where they sleep. Good luck

It's crazy how your thinking of not keeping your dog because it might difficult to teach it where to relieve itself, I feel for your pup.

Why the negativity this person has a serious problem, as an animal lover ,and an apartment dweller I can sympathize with him. Just offer some helpful advice,or else be silent.

April 30, 2012 Flag

House Training a PuppyMy 5 week old bluenosed Pitbull keeps using the potty in the house. How do I get her to stop?

By Justin from Akron

Five weeks is very young. The dog cannot hold urine or anything else for very long.

You can take watch her very carefully, and when she smells the floor, or gets through drinking or gets finished exercising or wakes up from a nap, say in a happy voice "lets go outside and go potty!"

Make it exciting and happy. When he goes to the potty outside, praise the darling and say "Yaaa! What a good girl, you went to the potty!" Make it all a big game.

If you know the signs of them needing to go out, training will go faster. After each time you play or she runs around, it will be time to go outside to go potty. This will teach her to have a good attitude about going potty outside!

Also, here is an excellent resource for all pit bull owners, I have found this site to be awesome!

http://www.pbrc.net/

Here is an article on training your pit bull to be house trained:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4780000_house-train-pit-bull-puppies.html

You are so blessed to have one of these beautiful puppies!

They look right into your heart!

Blessings, Robyn

It's only 5 weeks. It's going to pee. Take it out every 30-60 min and that's about all you can do right now. Five it a little treat every time it does pee outside. I have a 5 month old blue nose and that's all I did with mine and he is potty trained for the most part. I still take him out about every hour

I have the same problem with my pit bull rigback

November 29, 2010 Flag

I have a 5 month old gator Pit Bull mix. When I got him I was told he was house broken. However, ever since I have had him, he is persistent in pooping and peeing in both his crate and the rest of the house. How do I break his habits?

By J.W.Roberts from San Antonio, TX

Observe how much fluid intake the dog is getting and going by that, determines when to take the dog outdoors and walk it around a little in one area until the dog goes. A lot of times they want to mark their territory. Use that same area for bathroom duties. Use the same word "out" or "potty" and the dog will eventually understand what you are wanting it to do. Some dogs are more stubborn than others and it requires more time and patience, but don't give up. Reward the dog with a treat when it goes outdoors and tell him "good boy" each time.

If you catch the dog going in the house, say AHHH- AHHH and lead the dog away from the location and take it outdoors right away even if it's done it's business in the house.

Hello, how long is he in his crate? All day? He will need to go potty about 20 minutes after he eats or drinks.

October 14, 2010 Flag

***

House Training a Pitbull
***

I really can't get my puppy to quit peeing and pooping in the house. She is a red nose Pit Bull, and she is two and a half months old. Any advice?

By Tiffanie from Denver, NC

Answers:

House Training a Pitbull

Sorry, no advice (I have cats). I just wanted to say that your puppy is adorable! She looks a bit naughty pulling on that, but what young one isn't? I have an eight month old kitten. :-) (02/13/2010)

By mrs.story

House Training a Pitbull

The first time you get her to potty outside make sure you reward her. Pits are very smart dogs. We have 2 of them right now, but they love feeling special. (02/13/2010)

By vkarr1959

House Training a Pitbull

I've trained dogs to potty outside, and at the first sign (takes a few days of training at a young age, best if you are with them all day and night), your prime focus for those days is not the laundry, cooking, etc. You watch them for the pee or poo dance, and once you recognize it for what it is, you take them outside, and after awhile, they start to associate their pee and poo dance with the door leading outside, and before you know it, they will start going to the door and then you know they need outside to pee and/or poo. (02/13/2010)

By Carol L.

House Training a Pitbull

It sounds like you already have great advice. I just wanted to say that she is absolutely adorable! Good luck. (02/14/2010)

By RDLaure

House Training a Pitbull

My vet told me from the moment I brought my puppy home to not use puppy pads. Take him out after feeding, after naps, and after playing. I took his advice and my dog caught on very quick. But I don't work so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. Now if I'm gone all day, he'll hold it until I get back and it seems to take forever for him to finish when he goes outside. (02/14/2010)

By TXBetty

February 12, 2010 Flag

House Training a Pitbull. How do you house train 4 month old pitbulls?

March 8, 2005 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Pets Dogs House TrainingJanuary 22, 2013
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
Black and white Pitbull puppy.
Training a Pitbull to Not Bite
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 18, 2016 at 12:30:22 PM on 10.0.0.12 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.