Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Selling Handmade Crochet Items

I saw somebody posted a question as to where they could sell their handmade crocheted items, but never saw an answer. So I'm asking again. I missed all the holiday craft fairs, but would like to know what venues are available to sell my handmade items. I did check out esty, but I have too many different items to post.

By Linda from Chicago IL area

By Phyllis Albertson G.03/19/2013

I've done the craft sale thing. They want you to charge rumage sale prices for things that can take up to 30 hours to make. That would be less than one cent an hour for all the hard work. I think they're only thinking about how much the materials cost, not the time it takes to make something. Plus they would come look over my things and go make them and at the next sale, you'd find your inventions/items made by them for less than you charge. Beat you out with your own things.

By Callen01/27/2010

Ecrater.com is a good place to open your own webstore. It is a free online marketplace that you can upload pictures, enter descriptions, and pricing. There are no hosting fees and consists of a community of different types of sellers. There is also the option of ebay, artfire, and etsy.

By Sandi [390]01/11/2010

You can bunch your things up ans sell as a lot on Craigslist.com but meet at a local business or parking lot...never at your home. You can easily set up a simple website of your own, and then advertise with us. You will need a paypal account if you don't already. Avoid eBay, they will cost you a lot. If you have a nice open garage, think of having a "craft sale" and advertise on CL. Good luck!

By Miriam01/06/2010

In my area there are local flea markets in the spring and summer. They have a small fee to set up, but many of them get lots of traffic. Pick a busy weekend in your area and try it out. You might want to go to the market a week or two beforehand to check it out, see what kind of traffic it gets, what others are selling, and what kind of price ranges they have.

By PENNY K [15]01/01/2010

Can't you break up the items you have into categories and post them that way on Etsy? It seems the best venue to sell year round for crafters, that I've ever seen.

The other way is to google etsy, and when it pops up, check similar, but if you are dealing with an unknown site, I don't know how you research it's reputation.
Perhaps you could develop your own site through an inexpensive site.

You could write a form letter and send it to all churches in July to find out about craft bazaars, and also check local area for flea markets, though some can be seedy.

By kathleen williams [23]01/01/2010

Put ad in news paper or online papers,good luck.

By Lisa [2]01/01/2010

I have a couple online shops (all currently empty.I've been too busy with life!), and I have friends with online shops.

In addition to etsy, there is artfire.com. Reminds me of etsy. Also lov.li I haven't been there in ages, but it used to be okay. You can sell all sorts of stuff on blujay.com, but it kind of reminds me of ebay.

Best of luck! One of my biggest items is my Valentine's Day cards, and I'm thinking about getting back into the saddle. I think things will be going into high gear for me next week when The Kid goes back to school. :-)

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

I would like to start selling my handmade crochet items, but I don't know what would sell and what won't sell. I also need to know what to price the items. Thank you bunches!

Mackenzie from Millington, TN

RE: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

I am crocheting some items to sell in a local craft show. I haven't had any advice about pricing, either, but I'm going to price them at what I would be willing to pay for them if I were the buyer. Of course, I have to make a profit over and above the supplies, and my time, but I think I'll have that figured in okay - sure hope so! Ha! Good luck, and God bless you. (09/04/2007)

By tedsmom

RE: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

You can sell them on eBay. After you set up an account, you will need to look for the same thing you are selling and research what they are selling for. Take really good pictures of what you have to sell, and give a good description; and how much you want the bidding to start for the product. If you are a little scared of the process, you can put up one to sell and see how it goes. I have sold and bought on eBay and have had good success. Have a good time with it, it is exciting to see your things bid up and up. Good luck. (09/04/2007)

RE: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

My friend and I set up at craft shows and sell crocheted items. We price them for the area. Some areas you can charge more, but in little towns like we set up at we figure our price by price of materials and then double or triple it. I make slippers and sell them for $2.50 because I can make 2 pair out of a skein of yarn. They sell really fast. It is kind of a try and see thing. Good luck. I sell in Michigan. Dameemag from Rothbury, MI (09/04/2007)

By dameemag

RE: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

I suggest just looking at what sells well on eBay to get a good idea of the market first. (09/05/2007)

By kimhis

RE: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

Make sure you make usable products, not just decorative pieces. Slippers, pot holders, place mats, hats and scarves, and baby afghans would sell well. My grandmother had a home business making afghans, that spread just by word-of-mouth. People would pick out a pattern they liked from her small samples and tell her how big they wanted it to be. She'd tell them how much yarn to buy, they'd go to the store and buy the colors they wanted to match their homes. Then she'd make it for them and call them when it was ready. She was able to do this in her spare time while she watched TV in the evening. The business wasn't huge, but steady, and gave her spending money. (09/09/2007)

By susanmajp

RE: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

susanmajp: Do you know how much she sold them for? I have never made an afghan, but I believe I would enjoy it. But if you don't want me to use her idea that's okay by me! Thanks, Mackenzie (09/11/2007)

By Anonymous

RE: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

Post all your items on www.youcraftylot.com. It's all free to sellers at the moment. See what sells? (11/24/2007)

By Hazy

Archive: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

How should I begin selling my crochet work?

By lderavin from Orlando, FL

RE: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

When anyone asks about selling anything, I always recommend craigslist.com

It is free to advertise whatever you have to sell, and you can include pictures. People in your area will respond to the ad, then they come to you or you can meet them in a public place to show them your crocheted items. (04/07/2009)

By Anonymous

RE: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

Craigslist is great, but it only lets you advertise in your area. If you have friends or family who might advertise in their cities, that will get you more noticed, but that is still a reach. I suggest this great website. They take very little fee and you are seen by anyone who logs on. Give it a try? Good luck. etsy.com (04/09/2009)

By Poor But Proud

RE: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

My wife currently is selling craft and home decor items on a relatively new site called Bonanzle.com. Bonanzle is not a bidding site like e-Bay. You price your listed items and customers either pay your list price or, make an offer which you can accept, negotiate, or reject. The cost of doing business on Bonanzle is a fraction of the fees on e-Bay.

A really nice feature is that there are posts and threads just like here. You can promote your items, ask questions, ask for advice and it seems to have the "small town" air about it. People are helpful and usually friendly. My wife spends so much time on line with the site, it's like a virtual social club.

You can "Google" Bonanzle and follow the links. Sign up, set up a "booth" and you're in business. There is a lot of support for a new vendor. You can maintain an account here and do business on e-Bay or another site, too. (04/10/2009)

By Nockmoi

Archive: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

I have several crochet items. How do I sell them?

By Ann

RE: Selling Handmade Crochet Items

Try etsy.com
Good luck. (09/18/2009)

By tahlula