Celery For Heartburn

contest winner icon

A friend and I were eating at an Italian restaurant. We had several dishes that were acidic, plus a few glasses of wine. After the meal my friend took out a long stalk of celery from her purse, and began eating it. She told me that she had been living on Tums since she was young, but had just recently tried celery. By the time she had finished the stalk of celery, the severe burning sensation in her throat and chest were gone.

She told me to eat the whole stalk of celery when you first experience heartburn, and then just a few small pieces during the day will continue the relief. I tried it myself, and it really does work. By the time you've finished the celery, your throat and chest feel clear and normal again.

The alkaline in the celery cuts the acid in your acid reflux, and gives relief without the tums or pills. Try it and let me know.

By Dogsinspire from Kent, WA

Hmm, I wonder if this is why they always serve hot wings with celery. Thanks for the tip, I will try it :)

If your friend has heartburn that much she should have it checked by her Dr. It can lead to cancer of the esophagus over time.

Apples will do the same thing.

I agree with deebomb. I have acid reflux and didn't even have much heartburn. How I knew I had it is that I was having a hard time swallowing. I went on medication for it and within a day I could swallow normally. It is nothing to fool with and definitely can lead to cancer.

Honey dew melon works too.

Mom always swore by green peppers for this purpose. I love celery, so will be happy to give that a try.

Home Remedies for Heartburn
Home Remedies for Heartburn
Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 24, 2010
Celery on White Background
Storing Celery
A spoon of baking soda for use as an antacid
Homemade Antacid Recipe
Limp Celery
Reviving Limp Celery
Celery new growth
Growing Celery
🎉
🎄