Home Remedies for Heartburn

A friend and I were eating at an Italian restaurant. We had several dishes that were acidic, plus a few glasses of wine. After the meal my friend took out a long stalk of celery from her purse, and began eating it. She told me that she had been living on Tums since she was young, but had just recently tried celery. By the time she had finished the stalk of celery, the severe burning sensation in her throat and chest were gone.

She told me to eat the whole stalk of celery when you first experience heartburn, and then just a few small pieces during the day will continue the relief. I tried it myself, and it really does work. By the time you've finished the celery, your throat and chest feel clear and normal again.

The alkaline in the celery cuts the acid in your acid reflux, and gives relief without the tums or pills. Try it and let me know.

By Jen Rivet from Kent, WA

More Solutions

I found the best remedy for heartburn. When you gets heartburn open the fridge and get a jar of pickles Take one or two tablespoons of the juice and swallow it. In just a few seconds the burning will stop.

Although some people might think apple cider vinegar as a remedy is nothing more than an old wives' tale, my father-in-law used to ingest it every day. He never had a digestive ailment in all his 80+ years.

If you feel that you have heartburn, eat an apple. Works better than Tums or Rolaids. The acid in the apple neutralizes the acid in your throat, relieving the pain. I have reflux disease and this remedy was told to me by a Gastroenterologist. I find that it works very well.

To prevent heartburn from garlic, slice garlic in half lengthwise, you will find a "root" in the middle which often has some green color on the ends. Remove the root, and no more indigestion.

12 Questions

I need a remedy for instant relief from heartburn. My husband has been suffering from chest spasms all evening?

By Jeanette Jacobs from south of San Antonio, TX

Answers

I have a book here that has a tea recipe for heart burn. Never tried it but here you go.

Ingredients: 1 cup water, 1 tsp grated licorice root, 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger, 1 tsp dried chamomile

1 - In a small pan, bring the water to a boil. Add the licorice and the ginger. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add chamomile. Cover and steep for 10 minutes.
2- Strain into a teacup and drink.

Are you sure it is just heartburn, and not his heart? (God forbid)
When you said "spasm". It threw up a red flag for me

That man needs to be checked out by a physician immediately. Don't wait please. This could be very serious and life threatening. You at least will feel relieved if they find out it is just heart burn and probably put him on previcid. That has helped me, I take it every day. God Bless, Connie

This is one of the signs of heart attack. I knew a man who was taken to the emergency room for indigestion and he died. It was a heart attack.

This isn't exactly natural but it has worked for me for years. Once you are sure it is not his heart, have him slowly sip a Pepsi. Coke won't work. The Pepsi should not be guzzeled. Just a sip then wait. Then another sip. You will be amazed. I don't get it often but I always have a can of Pepsi on the shelf in case I need it.

I hope you have him see his doctor. Did you know not all heart attacks have "warning" signs? This is very true for women. When in doubt, check it out! My step father had a "little" heartburn, and would drink milk to make him feel better. He had a heart attack and died while on a cross country vacation with my mother. Not a happy ending to their dream trip!

I drink buttermilk, yup. Just plain milk causes heartburn or reflux, but a small buttermilk just before bed helps me.

Check into hydrochloric acid (HCl). Heartburn comes from too much gastrin & not enough HCl. Gastrin & histamine gets over produced to get the stomach to produce enough HCl. When there is something slowing down production of HCl, the stomach keeps producing gastrin & or histamine in the attempt to get more HCl made. Age is one reason for less production, there are others.

Do not confuse betaine hydrochloride & HCl, they are not the same thing, no matter what info is out there. When I have upset, nausea, heartburn, anything to do with the stomach, HCl stops it right now. After I swallow it, it takes about 5-20 minutes to stop whatever is going on.

Please let us know of his outcome. My husband came home from work back in August, not feeling good, sour stomach, chest pains, although one of his symptoms was pains down his arms. We went to the ER and he indeed had a heart attack. He is fine! The Lord is good! However, this being said. I hope it was just heartburn.

My quick fix is a slice of honeydew melon. Works immediately, but I have not suffered with it since I have eased off of fats oils & sugar, hope this helps.

Thank you all for your responses. In the peak of the heartburn, my husband tried the antacids, then a 7-Up, and he felt somewhat better before bed. He has had heart surgery / bypass about 5 years ago, so naturally, this was my concern, too. However, he describes the heartburn / spasms as a different hurt. Coming from his esophagus, if that makes sense. Anyway, we scheduled a scope with his Gastro Dr. asap. The dr. confirmed that his hiatal hernia was somewhat inflamed, but that most likely he was suffering from what is commonly called "Nutcracker" spasms. He is scheduled for an additional test; supposedly there is a simple pill for under the tongue when this happens again. Also, he changed his meds from the Aciphex that he had been taking for years to a different one which is working well so far. Again, thank you for all your suggestions. Will keep them in mind...esp. in case I ever need the help for myself! JJ

Answer this Question

What home remedy can I use to help heart burn?

By Aurora

I am trying to get off the drug Protonix, for GERD and heartburn. I have been on it for 6 to 7 years now and it is bothering some of my other systems. My doctor says forget it, but I can't believe that they would give a drug that you would be unable to get off of.

So far, I'm having some good luck with dill pickle juice, some Chinese vinegar and water, and sucking on mints. Nothing is working long term. Any help would be welcome.

Thank you.

By Judy K

Answers

I am no expert on health care, but I am an advocate for being proactive w/ your own health and recovery. Doctors mean well, many are bound by rules that restrict them from using a common sense approach to GERD and heartburn. Esp. when science and pharmaceutical companies who develop these new medications are so hit-and-miss.

I seriously urge you to see that you have more to lose than they do. That being said, I would do extensive homework online from those whose expertise is healing naturally with diet and/or making healthy food choices, instead of pills that often make matters worse.

I know from personal experience that I have not had the best diet to begin with, and so called acid blockers and such have only covered up the damage done. GERD and heartburn are your body's way of saying something's not right.

It's up to you to find what that is. Because your doctor may not know everything unless he's a miracle worker. For instance, I took medication like candy and the discomfort grew worse. Had an endoscopy done and found I had a small hiatus hernia. That was my wake up call to learn to eat right and try to stay as far away as I can from having to take pills for everything. (esp. when it's in my power to do so).

I felt fortunate that the test was done, but I had to ask for it. I don't even want to think what would have happen if I'd brushed it off and just kept drinking the vinegar juices and popping stomach acid blocker pills.

BTW, vinegars had worked for me also for a time, but you could develop problems with your esophagus, if used for a long term or too often or not diluted properly. And from everything I've read mints, esp. peppermint only aggravate the stomach's acid. As do drinking from straws, carbonated drinks, etc. Which is why it's so important to know what you can and cannot eat..and of course, you will find a lot of other things factor in, as well.

I do best eating like a vegan, and only shopping natural foods stores, esp. when it comes to animal products. I figure, years ago when my mother grandmother ate fruits, vegetables, and animal products they weren't pumped up with hormones, antibodies, etc or full of preservatives and chemicals you can't name. Hardly any of the food we eat today even comes close to being naturally what it should be. And GERD and other digestive diseases weren't the normal health problem they are today.

That's just my two cents. Good luck!

This is a page about homemade antacid recipe. Heartburn and acid reflux can be very uncomfortable and it helps to have a convenient remedy.

A spoon of baking soda for use as an antacid

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I had suffered with heartburn for many years. I remembered my Grandmother telling me to take two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and chase it with water.

My poor husband has to deal with heartburn on a daily basis. Do any of you know of any natural treatments that can help?

Health & Beauty Home RemediesOctober 22, 2012
🍀
🐰
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Home-Remedies-for-Heart-Burn.html