Home Remedies for Heartburn

Category Home Remedies
Heartburn can be quite uncomfortable. Before you make a trip to the pharmacy, try a home remedy, it might work for you. This is a guide about home remedies for heartburn.

A friend and I were eating at an Italian restaurant. We had several dishes that were acidic, plus a few glasses of wine. After the meal my friend took out a long stalk of celery from her purse, and began eating it. She told me that she had been living on Tums since she was young, but had just recently tried celery. By the time she had finished the stalk of celery, the severe burning sensation in her throat and chest were gone.

She told me to eat the whole stalk of celery when you first experience heartburn, and then just a few small pieces during the day will continue the relief. I tried it myself, and it really does work. By the time you've finished the celery, your throat and chest feel clear and normal again.

The alkaline in the celery cuts the acid in your acid reflux, and gives relief without the tums or pills. Try it and let me know.

By Dogsinspire from Kent, WA

I found the best remedy for heartburn. When you gets heartburn open the fridge and get a jar of pickles Take one or two tablespoons of the juice and swallow it. In just a few seconds the burning will stop.

By Verna N. from Walton, Indiana

If you feel that you have heartburn, eat an apple. Works better than Tums or Rolaids. The acid in the apple neutralizes the acid in your throat, relieving the pain. I have reflux disease and this remedy was told to me by a Gastroenterologist. I find that it works very well. You may have to try different types of apples to find the one that works best for you. For me, it's "Pink Ladies", but with you, it might be "Macintosh" or "Granny Smiths".

I love garlic! Unfortunately, I would get heartburn from it. To prevent heartburn from garlic, slice garlic in half lengthwise, you will find a "root" in the middle which often has some green color on the ends. Remove the root, and no more indigestion. Now you can enjoy extra garlic!

By Lisabm from Coos Bay, OR

Although some people might think apple cider vinegar as a remedy is nothing more than an old wives' tale, my father-in-law used to ingest it every day. He'd mix one tablespoon of cider vinegar and a tablespoon of honey into a cup of boiling water. He never had a digestive ailment in all his 80+ years.

When heartburn started to bother me a few years ago, I tried his solution and it helped, but it surely did taste awful. Shortly thereafter, I found cider vinegar capsules at Walmart. I take one a day and have no heartburn problems whatsoever (until I forget a day and pay for it the next). In short, it's not a cure, but apple cider vinegar every day is cheaper than antacids and very probably better for us than prescription drugs.

This is a guide about homemade antacid recipe. Heartburn and acid reflux can be very uncomfortable and it helps to have a convenient remedy.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I need a remedy for instant relief from heartburn. My husband has been suffering from chest spasms all evening?

By Jeanette from south of San Antonio, TX

Answers

I have a book here that has a tea recipe for heart burn. Never tried it but here you go.

Ingredients: 1 cup water, 1 tsp grated licorice root, 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger, 1 tsp dried chamomile

1 - In a small pan, bring the water to a boil. Add the licorice and the ginger. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add chamomile. Cover and steep for 10 minutes.

2- Strain into a teacup and drink.

Are you sure it is just heartburn, and not his heart? (God forbid)
When you said "spasm". It threw up a red flag for me

That man needs to be checked out by a physician immediately. Don't wait please. This could be very serious and life threatening. You at least will feel relieved if they find out it is just heart burn and probably put him on previcid. That has helped me, I take it every day. God Bless, Connie

This is one of the signs of heart attack. I knew a man who was taken to the emergency room for indigestion and he died. It was a heart attack.

This isn't exactly natural but it has worked for me for years. Once you are sure it is not his heart, have him slowly sip a Pepsi. Coke won't work. The Pepsi should not be guzzeled. Just a sip then wait. Then another sip. You will be amazed. I don't get it often but I always have a can of Pepsi on the shelf in case I need it.

I hope you have him see his doctor. Did you know not all heart attacks have "warning" signs? This is very true for women. When in doubt, check it out! My step father had a "little" heartburn, and would drink milk to make him feel better. He had a heart attack and died while on a cross country vacation with my mother. Not a happy ending to their dream trip!

I drink buttermilk, yup. Just plain milk causes heartburn or reflux, but a small buttermilk just before bed helps me.

Check into hydrochloric acid (HCl). Heartburn comes from too much gastrin & not enough HCl. Gastrin & histamine gets over produced to get the stomach to produce enough HCl. When there is something slowing down production of HCl, the stomach keeps producing gastrin & or histamine in the attempt to get more HCl made. Age is one reason for less production, there are others.

Do not confuse betaine hydrochloride & HCl, they are not the same thing, no matter what info is out there. When I have upset, nausea, heartburn, anything to do with the stomach, HCl stops it right now. After I swallow it, it takes about 5-20 minutes to stop whatever is going on.

Please let us know of his outcome. My husband came home from work back in August, not feeling good, sour stomach, chest pains, although one of his symptoms was pains down his arms. We went to the ER and he indeed had a heart attack. He is fine! The Lord is good! However, this being said. I hope it was just heartburn.

My quick fix is a slice of honeydew melon. Works immediately, but I have not suffered with it since I have eased off of fats oils & sugar, hope this helps.

Thank you all for your responses. In the peak of the heartburn, my husband tried the antacids, then a 7-Up, and he felt somewhat better before bed. He has had heart surgery / bypass about 5 years ago, so naturally, this was my concern, too. However, he describes the heartburn / spasms as a different hurt. Coming from his esophagus, if that makes sense. Anyway, we scheduled a scope with his Gastro Dr. asap. The dr. confirmed that his hiatal hernia was somewhat inflamed, but that most likely he was suffering from what is commonly called "Nutcracker" spasms. He is scheduled for an additional test; supposedly there is a simple pill for under the tongue when this happens again. Also, he changed his meds from the Aciphex that he had been taking for years to a different one which is working well so far. Again, thank you for all your suggestions. Will keep them in mind...esp. in case I ever need the help for myself! JJ

What home remedy can I use to help heart burn?

By Aurora

I am trying to get off the drug Protonix, for GERD and heartburn. I have been on it for 6 to 7 years now and it is bothering some of my other systems. My doctor says forget it, but I can't believe that they would give a drug that you would be unable to get off of.
So far, I'm having some good luck with dill pickle juice, some Chinese vinegar and water, and sucking on mints. Nothing is working long term. Any help would be welcome.

Thank you.

By Judy K

Answers

I am no expert on health care, but I am an advocate for being proactive w/ your own health and recovery. Doctors mean well, many are bound by rules that restrict them from using a common sense approach to GERD and heartburn. Esp. when science and pharmaceutical companies who develop these new medications are so hit-and-miss.

I seriously urge you to see that you have more to lose than they do. That being said, I would do extensive homework online from those whose expertise is healing naturally with diet and/or making healthy food choices, instead of pills that often make matters worse.

I know from personal experience that I have not had the best diet to begin with, and so called acid blockers and such have only covered up the damage done. GERD and heartburn are your body's way of saying something's not right.

It's up to you to find what that is. Because your doctor may not know everything unless he's a miracle worker. For instance, I took medication like candy and the discomfort grew worse. Had an endoscopy done and found I had a small hiatus hernia. That was my wake up call to learn to eat right and try to stay as far away as I can from having to take pills for everything. (esp. when it's in my power to do so).

I felt fortunate that the test was done, but I had to ask for it. I don't even want to think what would have happen if I'd brushed it off and just kept drinking the vinegar juices and popping stomach acid blocker pills.

BTW, vinegars had worked for me also for a time, but you could develop problems with your esophagus, if used for a long term or too often or not diluted properly. And from everything I've read mints, esp. peppermint only aggravate the stomach's acid. As do drinking from straws, carbonated drinks, etc. Which is why it's so important to know what you can and cannot eat..and of course, you will find a lot of other things factor in, as well.

I do best eating like a vegan, and only shopping natural foods stores, esp. when it comes to animal products. I figure, years ago when my mother grandmother ate fruits, vegetables, and animal products they weren't pumped up with hormones, antibodies, etc or full of preservatives and chemicals you can't name. Hardly any of the food we eat today even comes close to being naturally what it should be. And GERD and other digestive diseases weren't the normal health problem they are today.

That's just my two cents. Good luck!

Maybe you've been treating it for the wrong problem. Have you ever been tested for allergies? When my allergies act up I instantly get heart burn because the mucous enters my stomach and bang - heart burn. I take 1-2 Benadryl and a Tums tablet - end of problem.

I don't have heartburn often but when I do I eat peanut butter. Just a small amount does the job. I have done this for years but I don't know if it will help anyone else. I keep a pack of peanut butter crackers with me when I go somewhere important just in case it flares up. Good luck.

My own heartburn problems went away when I started getting chiropractic adjustments. I had a spinal misalignment that was compressing the nerves controlling the stomach, so my stomach was overproducing acid. I started getting treatments and within a few weeks, I was having no heartburn. No medication. It's worth a few minutes of your time to call a chiropractor in your area and just talk to them about how they can help.

I am not an advocate of drinking soda pop. However I keep a few bottles of Pepsi in the house in case I get heartburn. One or two swallows does the trick. Not the whole bottle. Just a few swallows of Pepsi. Unfortunately the rest of the bottle is wasted but it doesn't happen that often for me. If you get it frenquently you can save the Pepsi in the fridge but when the fizz is gone it won't help.

I don't get heartburn very often, but when I do I swallow a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and follow it up with a few sips of water. Most people are put off with the taste of vinegar, but it disappears within a minute or quicker when you follow it up with the water chaser. This always works (for me) and I hope it may help you too.

ACV. Apple cider vinegar. I take ACV capsules so i don't pucker. It is true our stomach burns because of not enough acid, hence the acv. Elevate the head of your bed by 4 inches. Don't eat for several hours before bedtime. I got off the acifex and others when i heard long term use can give you osteoporosis. I really dislike pharmaceuticals in that they almost always have bad side effects. Some are needed at times but you are wise to find natural ways to cure.

I too used to take Protonix. Then someone introduced me to kangen water. Kangen water is an alkaline water that hydrates your body in a manner that allows your body to heal itself as God intended. Doctors Poo poo it because as we all know, there is no money in the cure.

Vinegar is also alkaline as well and that is why it helps. Do yourself a favor and google Kangen water and acid reflux. Then find someone in your community with a machine and get the water from them to try for free. If you find it helps you, and it will, buy a machine and discover the meaning of feeling great! Hope this helps=)

go here http://www.yout … ch?v=1kSf7xdtrmc listen and learn. I did and it's absolutely true!

I had suffered with heartburn for many years. One night I had nothing to take for a terrible burn. I remembered my Grandmother telling me to take two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and chase it with water. I did this and within 5 minutes it was gone. I have used this remedy for years. You should try it.

By Joe B from Nampa, ID

Answers:

Apple Cider for Heartburn

I had heard of this and tried it ONCE...my stomach burned so bad for 5 minutes! Don't think I will ever do this again! You think I would have learned as one of the girls I work with tried this and thought her stomach was on fire! It may have worked for grandma, but not for me! (11/11/2008)

By

Apple Cider for Heartburn

Joe B from Nampa, I graduated from Nampa Hi in 1949. I have also used Apple Cider vinegar for heart burn. It is also good for earache. Very soothing to aching ears. (11/11/2008)

By jmouse13

Apple Cider for Heartburn

I read about this cure for hearburn in several of my MANY home remedy books. I tried it and it worked for me too. I use to all the time now. Works great. Heartburn is gone immediately. (11/12/2008)

By Helen

My poor husband has to deal with heartburn on a daily basis. Do any of you know of any natural treatments that can help? Thanks in advance.

Joy from Utah

Answers:

Heartburn Remedies

Try a tablespoon of baking soda mixed in a full glass of water. I learned this from the cook at a restaurant that I worked in back in MT. He always had heartburn, due to the fact the hours we worked. (06/07/2007)

By Jessica from IN

Heartburn Remedies

When I was pregnant with my first, an older lady I knew said the best natural thing for heartburn was chewing Spearmint chewing gum. It really does work. Now that I'm older when I deal with bedtime heartburn I get a peppermint and that helps within minutes. I have never been one to waste money on antacids when natural remedies will do the trick. (06/07/2007)

By Sharon from KY

Heartburn Remedies

My husband suffers from this problem, too. He finds that a couple of teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of warm water works well. It tastes horrible though. (06/07/2007)

By mumsy

Heartburn Remedies

A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water with each meal. It sounds crazy, but it helps with the acid production in your stomach. Good luck. (06/07/2007)

By mckaysatt

Heartburn Remedies

Raw peanuts soothe the stomach instantly, but you have to keep eating them almost constantly to keep the heartburn at bay. Mustard, plain ole yellow mustard, also works. Use about a teaspoon full. As a nurse, I wouldn't recommend using baking soda for heartburn. Peppermint, spearmint, and ginger are all good for the stomach and digestion.

Prilosec and Pepcid are both over the counter drugs used for this common complaint and work wonders for most people. They are expensive, but work. Store brands are cheaper and work just as well. Check with your Dr. or local pharmacist for the best. (06/08/2007)

By Shelly in AL

Heartburn Remedies

If your loved one has persistent heartburn it should be evaluated by a physician (usually requires an endoscopic look at the esophagus) to determine if there is any damage from the acid reflux.
Our bodies are so wonderfully made that when stomach acid regularly assaults the esophagus the cells mutate to more of a stomach lining cell and this is considered a form of cancer. Please have your husband see a Gastroenterologist. (06/08/2007)

By Diana

Heartburn Remedies

Raise the head of the bed on blocks, 4-6 inches. Pillows alone don't do it right. Wait at least 2 hours after eating before laying down. Eat standing, if necessary. Refrain from chocolate, carbonated beverages, and anything else that bothers your stomach.

Use Mylanta type liquid as needed. The tablets are handy when out and about. The store brand is fine, get a flavor you like. (06/08/2007)

By Marge

Heartburn Remedies

I've always heard that bananas work to cure heartburn. It doesn't work for my husband (it actually causes him heartburn), but I've heard people who swear by it. (06/08/2007)

By Jessie

Heartburn Remedies

My only tip is to eliminate Advil (Ibuprofen) and coffee. I had terrible heartburn for years until a Dr told me to stop the coffee and Advil. It totally worked. Who knew Advil could cause heartburn. (06/08/2007)

By Panks

Heartburn Remedies

Heartburn is caused by too little acid when not enough is being produced by the body. It is also caused by too much acid produced by the body.

See a gastroenterologist to have the situation properly diagnosed. Continuous heartburn can cause esophageal cancer in 1/4 of the sufferers. Following a proper diet and taking appropriate medications will help. Prilosec is an otc med you can buy. Take enzymes with heavy meals. Don't ever eat too much nor excessively greasy meals. Sleep with the chest elevated by using a triangular pillow.

Gastroesophageal disease can be controlled, but you have to follow the doc's advice.
(06/08/2007)

By cookwie

Heartburn Remedies

Some of this heartburn can be caused by dairy or food sensitivities. Try cutting back on dairy and using lactase pills. Or even better, eliminate dairy and see if that helps. Sometimes dairy can produce symptoms hours later. Take Prelief (you can buy at Walgreen's or order from WalMart) before every meal. (06/08/2007)

By cookwie

Heartburn Remedies

I have heard that several things are great: aloe vera juice, slippery elm, digestive enzymes, and apple cider vinegar.

I do not normally have heartburn, although I am plagued with it when I'm pregnant. I don't like to take meds while pregnant, so the only thing that worked for me was to take a glass or so of milk early in the evening, before the acid could start to accumulate too badly. Also, a midwife told me that the seeds of the chia plant (yes the same Chia of Chia Pet fame) can be very helpful, though hard to find.

Check out this site Earthclinic.com. I've found it to be full of great info. (06/10/2007)

Heartburn Remedies

Do not use apple cider vinegar, it makes it worse. Also, bananas are not good either. They came out on a list I received from the doctor when I was first diagnosed. I always have my head elevated on a wedge I lay on. I ordered it from JC Penney several years ago. It makes all the difference in the world. Avoid cinnamon if you can help it, also black pepper and lots of ice in your drinks is also bad. Hope it gets better. If he hasn't seen a gastroenterologist he needs to see one. (06/14/2007)

By loridawn1956

Heartburn Remedies

I can't thank you enough for all your wonderful suggestions. It means a lot to me that so many of you responded. You are really great. Well, my husband has tried several things and has finally come to a conclusion: Chewing gum. He has found that chewing gum (any kind) truly helps to relieve him of the acid reflux. Thank you all again. Hope his discovery helps someone else. (07/11/2007)

By Joy