Thrift Store Bargains for Crafts

Tips for finding craft materials at thrift stores from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas below.

Look At Clothing For Buttons, Fabric Or Lace

On your next trip to the thrift store as you're browsing through the clothing, look for interesting buttons and fabric. Buttons can be used in many craft projects and can be used to make beautiful jewelry like pins and earrings. An old flared jean skirt will give you enough fabric for one pillow or two covered memory boards. Flowered fabric can be used to make placemats, doll clothes or to make Barbie furniture, the possibilities are endless. Don't turn down a blouse with limp lace. If you like the lace, remove it careful and wash gently with some oxy-clean and then starch. By Debra in Colorado

Reuse Yarn From Sweaters

Recycling is always a good idea. I take it one step further, when I go to the thrift store I look for sweaters made with cotton yarn. These can be taken apart and made into dishcloths. If there is a pretty sweater, made from good yarn these can also be taken apart to make vests, childrens sweaters or parts of afghans. I sometimes use single mittens too. Sometimes sweaters that are no longer useable fall into your hands. These can be taken apart and used to make small blankets for pets or the animal shelter.

By Jeanne

I just love the idea of NOT wasting but even making use of left over scraps for blankets for animals at the shelters! What a great idea! Oh, and you could make little stuffed animals to, maybe even put a little cat nip in a little stuffed mice for the kitties!

By HungryArtist

Find Baskets And Sheets

Two things I look for at thrift stores are nice baskets for potential gifting and sheets, especially high thread count vintage sheets.

By lmr5140

Tips For Thrift Store Finds

Thrift stores are like heaven to me! I find so many useful things there and I find uses for so many other things! Here are some ideas:

• Cut off fringe and other trims from bedspreads and rugs and add them to something else you own.
  • Ad

• Spray paint lamps in fluorescent colors to give them a new look.
  • Do you have empty bookshelves? Fill them with books!

By Susan

The back panel of a thrift store or outgrown shirt, folded in half and stitched and stuffed makes an excellent throw pillow for a kid's room. I used to make them out of favorite shirts which no longer fit.