How Often Do You Replace Acrylic Nails?

Can anyone tell me how often you should have acrylic nails removed? I have had them now for about seven months and was told in July that I needed to have them taken off and a new set put on which I did. I then went in for a fill last week and was told that I would need another new set next time I go. I thought that you could just get a fill every couple of weeks and that would be it until I had them taken off. If I have to have a new set every couple of months this will be quite costly.

By J Evans from UK

I am getting the impression that you have gone to several different nail technicians. My best advice is to find one that you are comfortable with and trust. This way they can guide you to what is best for you (not just their wallets) and they will stand behind their work.

I've had "new sets" that lasted most of a year, and while in search of a trusted tech have gone thru maybe three in a year! It's frustrating! When I found nails that I admired I would ask for the name of the tech and tried that salon, etc.

I first got mine 8 years ago when I lived in another state and LOVED the results. Then I moved and started the search. It took awhile, but I found a "keeper" and she does back up her work. Good luck to you!

I'm a nail tech of 30 years & have had a very successful career. The only thing in mind, when techs tell you you need a new set of acrylic nails, is money. I've had my nails since I was 15 now I'm 52. You repair areas that are lifting, cracked, etc..at the time of your fill. Your nail grows out with acrylic on it! The only reason someone would urge you to put a full set on, when you aren't having any issues, is money. Don't totally trust them, in my opinion.

They are kidding you. As long as the nails look good and are not loose they can stay on forever. Just keep them filled. No matter what they say your nails do not need to "breathe". They are dead cells like your hair.

I have had acrylic nails for 35 years and have never had any problems. The key is maintenance. I get fills every 2 weeks. This keeps the edges sealed so water cannot get in and then create a fungus. I rarely get a new set. Usually after about 6-8 months the nails seem to get more brittle and start to crack or I hit one really hard and break it; the tech simply replaces the needed nail. When I've had to replace 3-4 nails, I usually ask to have the set soaked off and get a new set. This is generally at the 10-11 month point. I also do not pay extra for the "pink and white" but get the regular acrylic, it is the same powder, just clear.