Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Peanut Butter Fudge Not Hardening

How can I salvage Peanut Butter Fudge that has not hardened?

Tammy from Salyersville

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Patsy (Guest Post)12/14/2008

How do I fix my fudge that crumbled?

By Laurie [44]12/23/2007

I make alot of 'Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Fudge' this time of year. I love the idea of rolling it into balls and coating in pwd. sugar or cocoa powder (truffles). Going to use that one!
when mine don't turn out we jokinly call it 'Spoon fudge' and eat it off the cookie sheet!
I have found using a candy thermometer helps alot.

By Holly [350]12/23/2007

Refrigerate it. Might help.
Or use my mother's old trick and incorporate it into something else as a filling, topping or base.

By Mary [12]12/23/2007

I had a similar experience today. I have never made fudge until today, and I wanted to use an old fashioned Hershey's original fudge recipe - without marshmallow in it and without using any shortcuts. Just sugar, whole milk, butter, vanilla and cocoa. Of course, it was a damp & rainy evening - I'm always up for a challenge lol... Now since the fudge I made was cocoa based, not peanut butter I don't know if that would make a difference. Anyway, I had let it go slightly above the soft ball stage the recipe called for, but once I went to whip it it was not getting thick. Not knowing exactly what it was supposed to look like, I poured it in the pan anyway and then found that it just would not set. I even tried to set it in the freezer and when that did nothing, I took it straight from the freezer, scraped it back into a pot - this time a smaller pot than before - and brought it back up to a boil - yes, I did this even though the nuts and the vanilla had already been added. This time, I brought it to just under hard ball stage and then instead of cooling it in the pot it cooked in, I poured it out of the pot onto a big cookie sheet that I had placed on a cooling rack which was on top of a towel to protect my countertop. I did not wait for it to cool - I immediately starting pushing it around and back and forth on the sheet using a wooden spatula until it began to thicken nicely. I poured it into the buttered 8 x 8 pan and it began to set immediately. It turned out great - so, though this may not be timely to help you, if anyone runs across this problem, well, don't give up!

By susan [5]12/22/2007

Roll it into balls, refrigerate until cold, and dip in melted chocolate. YUM

By Cindy [6]12/22/2007

This very same thing happened to me last night. It sure is frustrating!! I cleaned out the jar from the marshmallow cream I had used in the recipe and poured the fudge into it to use as ice cream topping and put it in the rerigerator. I had put it back on the stove and tried to cook it a little longer but it started to get little hard bits in it. Anyway, I noticed that after awhile it did get harder. I decided to make a new batch and this time once it came to a hard boil I set the kitchen time for exactly five minutes and stirred the whole time-it came out perfect. Good luck!

By Babette [33]12/21/2007

This one will hardened.

BIG BACH PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE
INGREDIENTS

2 LB. skippy supper chunky peanut butter
4 cup sugar1
1/3 cups can milk
1 JAR cup marshmallow cream
24 OZ cocktail peanuts w/oil ( not dry roasted)
2 TSP vanilla

INSTRUCTIONS

cook milk, sugar to soft ball stage add remaining instructions beat till mixed pour into buttered 9X13X2 pan.

By Lilian12/21/2007

Try putting some in the freezer, it may harden enough and could be eaten cold.

By suzin (Guest Post)12/21/2007

I have a fudge recipe that does not require cooking. It has peanut butter in it. It calls for powdered sugar. Perhaps you could add some powdered/confectioners sugar in it. Work it a bit and maybe that would do it. But I have never tried this.

By Linda (Guest Post)12/21/2007

Bottle in a pretty jar, tie on an ice cream scoop and gift it as peanut butter fudge ice cream topping!

By Noella [9]12/21/2007

Put it back in the pan and cook it longer. It has ALWAYS worked for me.

By (Guest Post)12/21/2007

Try heating it slightly & and adding a little more powered sugar.

By joan pecsek [88]12/21/2007

When candy doesn't harden I've never found any way to make it right. Use it as icing or a topping for ice cream or cake.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]12/21/2007

Save the fudge and don't throw it out like I did several years ago. I made two batches and both didn't harden, so not thinking I threw it away in the garbage. Save the fudge which is like frosting and use it to frost some homemade brownies.

Here are questions related to Peanut Butter Fudge Not Hardening.

Question: Peanut Butter Fudge Did Not Set

I made peanut butter fudge. It came out very gooey. I tried a piece and it tastes fabuloso, but where I cut a little piece has filled in so it's supper soft. Can I save it?

By Nicole A.