Zucchini and Cheese Bread

Here's a bread you can make with some of your zucchini crop.

• 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup zucchini, grate and squeezed dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture
  • 1 tablespoon onion, minced or grated
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard

Preheat oven to 375F and grease an 8x4 inch bread pan or use muffin tins if you want muffins.

Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl. Then cut in the butter using a pastry blender or using two knives. When the mixture is the consistency of crumbs mix in the cheese.

In another bowl, mix together the eggs and milk. Then stir in the zucchini, onion and mustard. Then add all the dry ingredients. Mix until the dough holds together (don't over-mix) and spoon the dough into your greased pan.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. The bread should be risen and brown when it is done. To test whether the bread is done stick it with a long tooth pick. It should come out clean.

This recipe is excellent. Nice texture (reminds me a bit of quiche) and very good flavor. I used regular mustard because I didn't have dijon but I'll bet it

is just as good. It was hard to walk away and not keep slicing. I am used to sweet zucchini bread and this is different in may ways. Quite a treat and I will be making

I tried this recipe but exchanged the butter for 1/4 cup of oil, added 1 egg, chopped green onion, basil, rosemary, and a touch of cayenne. It was awesome, with rave reviews. Crispy on the outside, soft and savory on the inside. it doesn't seem like there is much cheese in the recipe but it turns out to be just right amount.

I am anxious to try this. I would like to make this for our church bazaar because there is always sweet things made. This would be different.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts BreadsSeptember 6, 2004
Zucchini Bread
Freezing Zucchini Bread
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes