Keeping Earwigs Out of Bird Feeders

I have several bird feeders outside but they get full of Earwig bugs. Any ideas on how to keep them out would be greatly appreciated. I wash the feeders out but they come right back.

Debra from Hampton, TN

Wouldn't the birds just eat them too? You could try using some kind of granules that gets rid of them around the base of the feeder.

From what I have read birds will eat the earwigs and earwigs are also somewhat good to have around as they eat other garden pests. As long as they aren't too out of control it sounds like they rec to leave them be.

There are some suggestions on the links below including some safe version so as not to endanger the birds and other good guys. I had heard of the newspaper trick before and it would be free so maybe try that one.

Are your birdfeeders hanging from something or on a post or pole? One of the suggestions was a sticky trap. I remember my folks having trouble in their yard with weevils and they put some sticky trap solution on the trunks of the rhodies to keep the weevils from going up the bush and eating it.

On another note...last year there was something killing birds last summer from birdfeeders...cant remember what it was exactly...something like salmonella..but they recommended people not put their feeders out for the summer months to help. And this way the birds will eat the bugs like they are supposed to instead of being lazy and pigging out on the food in the feeders.

Good luck! (Earwigs are kinda creepy.)

http://www.ehow.com/how_155998_rid-earwigs.html

http://organicgardensite.com/bugs-harmful/earwigs/

We found a fantastic solution for keeping ants and earwigs out of our feeder. Get a plastic takeout container and make a small hole in the center at the bottom. The hole needs to be small enough to require some pressure to pull the cord through, as you want it to be a tight fit.

The container we found fit perfectly on the top of the feeder (see picture below) and has high, smooth sides. Fill the bottom of the container with cinnamon. Firstly, ants don't like cinnamon and it doesn't take long before they don't come calling again. Secondly, the cinnamon coats the sides of the container too and, once the ants and earwigs are in the bottom they cannot get out as they keep slipping down. It did not take long before neither ants nor earwigs were coming around anymore. We keep the container up to prevent this from happening again. The lid on top of the glass cylinder screws off, making it easy to clean the feeder without having to pull off the plastic container from the cord each time.

The problem is that the earwigs are getting in there at night, not during the day when the birds are out. I may try this cinnamon idea as I have nothing to lose. I am really tired of dumping out the earwigs and nectar.

Earwigs really freak me out, so I used something similar to the cinnamon trick to get rid of them. I strung a container onto the wire that held up my hummingbird feeder and coated the inside of it with cooking spray, careful not to get any on the feeder itself. This thing was dripping with cooking spray. No bug is getting out of that prison.

How do the earwigs get into the nut feeders, one especially that has a hinged lid and the earwigs get into the hinge section, at least 8 to 10 each side. I clean them out each time I refill the feeder and they are back the next time?. Do they feed on the nuts? I wouldn't mind if I thought that they were doing something beneficial but all I can see is them grouped up every time I open the feeders.

Home and Garden Pest Control BugsJune 10, 2008
Bird Eating from Bird Feeder
Keeping The Ground Under a Bird Feeder Clean
Squirrel Feeder
Making a Squirrel Feeder
Controlling Earwigs
Controlling Earwigs
Two earwigs on a yellow flower.
Getting Rid of Earwigs
🎉
🎄