Getting Rid of Earwigs

Category Bugs
Two earwigs on a yellow flower.
Earwigs are nocturnal omnivorous insects. They will eat both plants and other insects. It is their enjoyment of our flowers and vegetables that prompts the desire to rid ourselves of these hungry pests. This is a guide about getting rid of earwigs.

To get rid of earwigs, roll up some newspaper with elastics, wet the paper with water which the earwigs love, then place around garden plants at night. In the morning, pick up papers, roll up ends, and throw out in garbage outside.

By jezzy005 from Vernon, B.C.

We just moved into our new home and I have noticed a pretty decent amount of earwigs in and around our home. I just got pinched by one for the first time tonight and I don't wish to ever have it happen again. I also have two small children, two cats, and a dog, so I need something safe and effective. We do have a rotting stump in our yard, but can't afford to have it removed right now. Help?

By Milly Van A.

We are having earwigs flying onto the patio and other areas of our yard; how do I get rid of them? They will land on us and get into the house on our clothing if we are not very careful to get them off before going in, help!

By Janie from Bakersfield, CA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Earwigs

I didn't know earwigs could fly. Look them up on the internet. They like to live in dead wood especially wood shavings that people use for mulch. (11/09/2010)

By Lilac

How to get rid of the "pinchy bugs"? They have the two pinchers that grab and pinch. They are black, approximately 1 inch big. I need something safe to use with children.

By Edith

Answers:

Getting Rid of Earwigs

Earwigs love to live in wood shavings. If you have these around your yard you will get earwigs. They will come in your house through windows because they can crawl under the screen. Maybe you can spray the window trays where the children don't touch, like on the outside. These bugs leave a nasty sore when they bite though they are not poisonous. (07/24/2010)

By Ann Parker

How do you get rid of earwigs in a mailbox so they don't come back?

By Sarah from Saginaw, MI

Answers:

Getting Rid of Earwigs

Vinegar in cup, in the mailbox. (06/22/2010)

By T&T Grandma

I want to kill earwigs that are nesting in a children's playhouse.

Teresa from Surrey

Answers:

Getting Rid of Earwigs

Earwigs are great gritters in the garden as they eat all the rotten plant matter. The best safe way to get rid of them if they become a pest else where in the garden is to crumple up wet newspaper and place it inside old plant pots or used butter/margarine containers and place them around the effected areas. Earwigs feed at night and will hide in the newspapers during the daylight, so every day change the newspapers and throw them away in a plastic bag and place in the rubbish bin.

I had this problem around my veggie garden and they got inside my cauliflowers, it was so disgusting that I didn't eat any cauliflower for months and I don't grow them anymore. I also had a lot of grass clippings around my veggie patch which attracted them. I don't use mulch and am very careful now, and have no problems. I hope this helps. Cheers (06/04/2007)

By Lambchop Western Australia

Getting Rid of Earwigs

Insecticides used for cockroaches are effective (06/05/2007)

By Sarah

Getting Rid of Earwigs

What I use is soy sauce & oil. You put this in a bottle or a margarine bowl. I put holes in the side of the bottle so I can hang it on the fence to keep it away from my dog. This does kill the earwigs. The soy sauce pulls them in the bottle & the oil drowns them. Hope it works for you cause it sure does for me. (06/06/2007)

By Joyce wis

Getting Rid of Earwigs

Try putting boric acid on them, this will help. Also, Raid indoor and outdoor garden treatment spray (walmart for $4.00 per can) might help if you spray the cracks and heaters in the home, and around the windows both inside and outside. (11/08/2007)

By Josie