Roasting Poultry

When roasting a whole chicken, turkey or turkey breast use a "basting" cloth and roast breast-side down for a flavorful moist chicken/turkey. Roasting breast-side down keeps the breast moist because the juices will go down and keep the breast from drying out. The cloth will "baste" while the chicken/turkey roasts so basting is not needed.

Clean and liberally season the chicken/turkey. Use cheesecloth moistened with cooking oil, cut in size to cover the top and sides of the chicken/turkey. You can stuff it if you wish. After roasting, remove cloth and throw away.

Cheesecloth is a thin cotton mesh-type material that can be bought usually in the paint department or supermarket. It is cheaper to buy in the paint department. It is safe to use for cooking or straining.

I usually mix my spices that I use to roast chicken/turkey together and keep in a labeled shaker spice bottle. I sprinkle the mixed spices all over and inside the chicken/turkey. I also add a cut up onion and at times a lemon in the cavity and around the chicken/turkey. My family's favorite spice mix for chicken is one teaspoon of paprika, one teaspoon of poultry seasonings without salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, one teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. When roasting turkey, I double the recipe for the seasonings.

Save the juices in the pan from the roast. Strain, using cheesecloth, into a container. Refrigerate. When the fat has hardened, remove it and throw away. The "juice" can be frozen. The "juice" should be solidified so freeze it flat enough that it can be easily broken off when you need some. The next time you need flavorful chicken broth, break some off and thaw. Mix with water and you will have a flavorful broth to use.

Source: A combination of a 1920's cookbook and my own idea.

By mkymlp from NE PA

Roasted Chicken
Roast Chicken Tips and Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsOctober 16, 2009
making a turkey breast
Cooking a Perfect Turkey Breast
A cooked turkey that was soaked in a brine before cooking.
Making a Poultry Brine
Baking Poultry
Baking Poultry
Frozen poultry meat
Freezing Poultry
🎉
🎄