Butterscotch Pudding Pie Filling Recipe

Does anybody have an old recipe for butterscotch pudding/pie filling which uses a bit of vinegar, maybe melts sugar in pan, and uses eggs to make a genuine cream filling? My stepmom made it years ago and it was the real thing.

By PENNY K from Westminster, CO

Hi Penny,

Check out this Food and Wine URL.

http://www.food  ding-with-toffee

The recipe includes some crumbled toffee candy, but you wouldn't have to use it as it's only a "garnish".

The recipe does require using vinegar, and surprise...Bourbon. If I were making it and didn't want to use the bourbon, I would be substituting with apple juice. It's such a little bit anyway, that I can't think it's crucial.

I hope this helps,

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

If you will Google "homemade butterscotch pudding/pie filling recipe" you will get a lot of websites that have great recipes. Hope you find one that works for you.

Thank you; I read it and emailed it to myself. It looks like it contains all the things I remember her putting it it.

I will definitely make it, sans the bourbon and toffee, because I want to see if the base recipe is what I'm aiming for before I embellish it. Thanks everyone, so much.I'm the only one in family who likes butterscotch, but about once a year, I get a real hankering for it.