Vietnamese Avocado Shake

I had never eaten avocado sweet before I went to Viet Nam. I have to admit I was a little skeptical. I have always been an avocado lover, in sandwiches, tortilla soup, burritos or in guacamole. My first time eating avocado in dessert form was at a night time street vending stand in Viet Nam.

Around 5pm at night the stands with there bright "Sinh To" (which means blended fruit drink) signs, short plastic tables and chairs were set up. Here you can get mixed fruit shakes, including mango, papaya, banana, pineapple, and avocado. As I began to drink my sweet avocado shake I tried to not think of it as the salty creamy sensation I so loved, but rather I tried to think of it as a new fruit I had never had, in order to avoid my notions of how I thought it should taste get in the way of me enjoying this new treat. I fell in love with this sweet creamy dessert.

Sweet Avocado Shakes

• 1 Avocado
  • 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2-3 Tablespoon(s) sugar, to taste
  • 1/2 cup ice

Put in a blender and blend until smooth.

Oh, Stella, this really sounds good. I like what you say about not thinking of it as salty and creamy...that's probably the key. It reminds me of the first time my "Dutch" hubby ate cheese cake and was so disappointed...he thought in terms of a cheese dish....but not sweet....lol Thanx for sharing this recipe.

Stella - I know what you mean about what your mouth expects when you put avacodo into it!! I think I will try your shake. You should check out Avacado Fudge (posted on 12-3-07) - It's not bad!!

Thanks - Sheri

Avocado pie is very good too. I will find the recipe I have and post it too. Mahalo for sharing.