How Do I Make a Bleach and Water Cleaning Solution?

The bleach that I buy says to use 3/4 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water to clean showers, tubs, sinks, etc. My husband puts 2 cups of bleach in a 1 quart spray bottle then adds water and uses it to spray down the shower walls and floor (tile and grout) after showering. I think this is way too much, but he argues that "it doesn't hurt anything". Is this true? What happens when you use too much bleach in a solution?

By SavingGrace from Patterson, CA

October 7, 20100 found this helpful
Best Answer

A friend of mine uses bleach for everything and has removed the shine on almost all of the same. I would follow the highly dilited recipe. Unless the tub is ceramic it will lose its luster and get soiled quickly.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Anonymous Flag
October 8, 20100 found this helpful
Best Answer

Using too much bleach for cleansing/sanitizing can cause not only damage to the item but, more importantly, cumulative lung damage so let your husband know that it can hurt! You would be much better off using a non-chlorine bleach (they contain hydrogen peroxide instead of chlorine) and always sticking to the manufacturers suggested mixing recommendation ratio because they have good reasons for their recommendations!

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
October 8, 20100 found this helpful
Best Answer

Can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading something that stated a 1:10 dilution of bleach was more effective than using bleach straight!

Several other things to consider:

1) In chemistry lab, one is taught that you should always add the concentrated chemical (bleach) to the water, not the water to the bleach. This is for safety.

2) You should not have to be spraying after every shower for mildew. If you really want to, check this article:

3) OSHA does not recommend bleach for porous surfaces. The mildew comes back because its "roots" are deep in the grout and not killed by the bleach on the surface.

4) another recipe some people suggest is using rubbing alcohol in the sprayer.

5) Bleach is a base, and they are corrosive by nature, especially concentrated. Grout and tub surfaces can be damaged with daily use.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
October 6, 20100 found this helpful

You can burn your lungs; and if you use any other cleaning products in the bathroom it can combine with it and let off a poisonous gas. You can buy a "bleach" product from 7th generation which is non toxic. If you simply want to make it germ free after cleaning with a simple solution such as baking powder, use it just like you would Comet or any other powder cleaner: spray with 1st a simple solution of 3 per cent hydrogen peroxide: be sure to use the real thing and not the "similar looking" one that is a topical solution which is a very watered down hydrogen peroxide. Because it breaks down in light, it is sold in dark bottles. Use ONLY the amount in a spray bottle reserved for its use: but do NOT keep it in the spray bottle, as it WILL break down in light!

Spray with this first; then spray with a different spray bottle of vinegar. Never combine the 2 of them in the same bottle as then it makes a different substance completely after setting for a while. But the effect of spraying first with hydrogen peroxide 3 percent, and then vinegar: is more effect and works far better than chlorine bleach does, without harmful effects at all (other than the assault on your nose when the vinegar is used!). The smell of the vinegar evaporates quickly as it dries! Far far healthier for you and will save you much in doctors bills later on in life!

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
October 7, 20100 found this helpful

You can use any amount of bleach from 100% to a teaspoon, but I would not use it to clean a shower unless there was mold present. There are plenty of products on the shelves in the big box stores that will clean a shower. But be careful of mixing products as they could give off some toxic fumes. I would stay away from ammonia or products that have ammonia in it.

Also, to keep a shower clean once you have cleaned it is to wipe down the shower after every use. I use a towel to wipe down by shower after I use it and maybe once or twice a year do I clean the shower. Because there is no build up of soap scum it only takes me a few minutes to keep the shower clean.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
October 8, 20100 found this helpful

According to the Clorox web site, bleach does not clean, it only disinfects after allowing it to air dry. When using, clean the surface first; then use the bleach to disinfect. Also, I believe the scented bleaches do not disinfect, only the regular bleach will disinfect.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Article
bleach bottle
Cleaning With Bleach
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Bathroom CleanersOctober 6, 2010
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Make Your Own Bleach Pen
Make Your Own Bleach Pen
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Bleach Stains on Countertop
New Years Ideas!
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 4, 2016 at 4:16:05 AM on in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!