Mixing Dawn and Bleach

Can you mix Dawn with bleach safely?

By Kathy

Best Answer

It is safe to mix with SOME Dawn Dishwashing soap, though I have to admit that my cleaning results were not as great and wonderful as many websites claim. Read the back of the Dawn (or other dish soap) bottle. Some varieties of Dawn say nothing about bleach -- these are OK to mix. There is at least one (blue) that specifically says "Do Not Mix With Bleach." This one is not safe.

Yes, it is safe to mix Dawn dishsoap and bleach. Growing up I can remember my grandma getting the mop water ready for me to do my chores. To this day I still use this remedy for cleaning various items. Happy Cleaning!

Best Answer

Check your labels. The original Dawn formula has changed over the years and many dish soaps now contain ammonia. This causes toxic fumes when mixed with bleach. Most dish soaps carry a warning not to use with bleach.

Anonymous

NO! Mixing these two will give you a noxious gas that will cause upper respiratory breathing problems.

Anonymous

NO! Mixing these two will produce a gas that is toxic and will cause upper respiratory breathing problems.
DO NOT mix these two!

I use a combination of water, a drop or two of Dawn, and just enough bleach to smell for kitchen counter cleaner. I keep this in a spray bottle and use it just like any other counter cleaner.

Anonymous

I don't know if it'll crate noxious gas... but it's definitely useless. Soap will attach to the chlorine and make it not work for sanitizing. If there's too much bleach in that solution soap molecules are gonna be all used up on chlorine molecules and you're just mopping with water

I just read that if you have a mixture of 3 parts water and one part bleach to make a gallon, and add 1 ounce of Dawn dish soap that it will keep the mixture wet and not dry out for cleaning applications outdoors, where any fumes will also not be harmful.