Mixing Dawn and Bleach

Can you mix Dawn with bleach safely?

By KathyEditor's Note: Most dish detergents today, including Dawn, add ammonia for cleaning power. This will react badly with bleach and cause toxic gas to form.

Carefully read your packaging for any warnings about mixing with bleach before proceeding.

Best Answer

It is safe to mix with SOME Dawn Dishwashing soap, though I have to admit that my cleaning results were not as great and wonderful as many websites claim. Read the back of the Dawn (or other dish soap) bottle. Some varieties of Dawn say nothing about bleach -- these are OK to mix. There is at least one (blue) that specifically says "Do Not Mix With Bleach." This one is not safe.

Best Answer

Absolutely do not mix Dawn dish soap with bleach. There is an inadequate tiny warning on the back of the bottle that I did not see. Right now, I am airing my house out because of the fumes. I am nauseous and had to call Poison Control. They advised to drink a lot of water and sit in a steam bath.

I also had to throw out the shirt I was washing. I can buy a new shirt but I don't know if my nose will ever be the same and who knows what other problems I may have in the future. That's it for Dawn soap for me. Total bullocks it can be used on animals, ie their bogus marketing campaign

I'm so sorry that that happened to you. I believe that the formula has been changed over the years. The original blue Dawn was probably fine to mix with bleach but today's is not!

I added an editor's note to this question so that the warning was front and center. I also made your comment Best Answer so it will be highlighted on the page.

Good luck!

Yes, it is safe to mix Dawn dishsoap and bleach. Growing up I can remember my grandma getting the mop water ready for me to do my chores.

To this day I still use this remedy for cleaning various items. Happy Cleaning!

Best Answer

Check your labels. The original Dawn formula has changed over the years and many dish soaps now contain ammonia. This causes toxic fumes when mixed with bleach. Most dish soaps carry a warning not to use with bleach.

Anonymous

NO! Mixing these two will give you a noxious gas that will cause upper respiratory breathing problems.

Anonymous

NO! Mixing these two will produce a gas that is toxic and will cause upper respiratory breathing problems.

DO NOT mix these two!

I use a combination of water, a drop or two of Dawn, and just enough bleach to smell for kitchen counter cleaner. I keep this in a spray bottle and use it just like any other counter cleaner.

Anonymous

I don't know if it'll crate noxious gas... but it's definitely useless. Soap will attach to the chlorine and make it not work for sanitizing. If there's too much bleach in that solution soap molecules are gonna be all used up on chlorine molecules and you're just mopping with water

I just read that if you have a mixture of 3 parts water and one part bleach to make a gallon, and add 1 ounce of Dawn dish soap that it will keep the mixture wet and not dry out for cleaning applications outdoors, where any fumes will also not be harmful.