Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Take the clothes from your soaking pail (or other) and wring them out and toss in the washer.
Yes, by the time the bleach water ends up in the toddy, it is dirty but still bleachy. The floor dirt that's in it will be flushed down instead of poured down a sink to not serve any real purpose.
It's so easy to make mistakes with chlorine bleach! So I poke a little hole in the foil on top of the closing of the bottle to give me more control over the flow of the bleach. It makes you more conscious of how much you are using, too.
By pam munro from LA, CA
For fast sanitizing clean ups, get a spray water bottle and mix a small amount of bleach (a cap full) and fill the rest of the bottle with water. Keep it next to your sink (somewhere away from the kids) and when there is a mess, just spritz and clean up. Fast and clean.
The other day I ran out of ultra bleach and I noticed in the laundry room, I had a full bottle of store brand bleach and I thought great I don't have to go to the store. So I did a load of whites, put in soap powders and some bleach. When the washer stopped I put clothes in the dryer. Later, I noticed when I was folding the clothes they didn't seem that white. I thought, maybe I didn't put that much bleach in or it didn't work well because it was a store brand. Anyhow, today Hubby was helping me clean out the closet which was long overdue. I had some white things that had turned kinda yellow from being stacked behind the closet. I thought I'd wash them with some bleach.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
Can you mix Dawn with bleach safely?
By Kathy Editor's Note: Most dish detergents today, including Dawn, add ammonia for cleaning power. This will react badly with bleach and cause toxic gas to form.
It is safe to mix with SOME Dawn Dishwashing soap, though I have to admit that my cleaning results were not as great and wonderful as many websites claim. Read the back of the Dawn (or other dish soap) bottle. Some varieties of Dawn say nothing about bleach -- these are OK to mix. There is at least one (blue) that specifically says "Do Not Mix With Bleach." This one is not safe.
Check your labels. The original Dawn formula has changed over the years and many dish soaps now contain ammonia.
Absolutely do not mix Dawn dish soap with bleach. There is an inadequate tiny warning on the back of the bottle that I did not see. Right now, I am airing my house out because of the fumes. I am nauseous and had to call Poison Control. They advised to drink a lot of water and sit in a steam bath. I also had to throw out the shirt I was washing. I can buy a new shirt but I don't know if my nose will ever be the same and who knows what other problems I may have in the future. That's it for Dawn soap for me. Total bullocks it can be used on animals, ie their bogus marketing campaign
The bleach that I buy says to use 3/4 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water to clean showers, tubs, sinks, etc. My husband puts 2 cups of bleach in a 1 quart spray bottle then adds water and uses it to spray down the shower walls and floor (tile and grout) after showering. I think this is way too much, but he argues that "it doesn't hurt anything". Is this true? What happens when you use too much bleach in a solution?
By SavingGrace from Patterson, CA
A friend of mine uses bleach for everything and has removed the shine on almost all of the same. I would follow the highly dilited recipe. Unless the tub is ceramic it will lose its luster and get soiled quickly.
Using too much bleach for cleansing/sanitizing can cause not only damage to the item but, more importantly, cumulative lung damage so let your husband know that it can hurt! You would be much better off using a non-chlorine bleach (they contain hydrogen peroxide instead of chlorine) and always sticking to the manufacturers suggested mixing recommendation ratio because they have good reasons for their recommendations!
Can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading something that stated a 1:10 dilution of bleach was more effective than using bleach straight!
Several other things to consider:
1) In chemistry lab, one is taught that you should always add the concentrated chemical (bleach) to the water, not the water to the bleach. This is for safety.
2) You should not have to be spraying after every shower for mildew. If you really want to, check this article: http://www.food y-cleaner-349641
3) OSHA does not recommend bleach for porous surfaces. The mildew comes back because its "roots" are deep in the grout and not killed by the bleach on the surface.
4) another recipe some people suggest is using rubbing alcohol in the sprayer.
5) Bleach is a base, and they are corrosive by nature, especially concentrated. Grout and tub surfaces can be damaged with daily use.