Recliner Lever Extender

I've having trouble getting out of my new recliner. The lever is too far down for me to reach when my dog's on my lap. I searched online and there is a thing at Walgreens.com called a "recliner lever extender".

Have any of you used one of these or know of something I can attach to the lever that would serve the purpose? I love this site; it's solved a lot of my problems that friends don't have to answer to. Thanks

By Betty

How about a piece of PVC pipe to slide over the handle? You could cover it with a fabric sleeve to be less obvious and also match colors. I love this site also! Love to share and learn.

Since you're talking about having trouble getting out of the recliner, before spending any money double check to see if pushing down with your calves will lower the leg rest. My Auntie and a neighbor both have the type that will allow you to do that without using the lever.

suem1009's idea is good if you have to use the lever.

As for purchasing a lever extender, call around to two or three of your local Walgreen's and see if they carry them in store or would be willing to get one for you because you would then save shipping costs and easily be able to return for a refund if it didn't work for you. Please let us know the outcome :-)

After my grandmother got stuck in her recliner and had to climb over the arm to get out of it, her physical therapist told her to use her vacuum hose extender. He placed this over the lever. Very similar to the PVC pipe idea.

Pushing down on the foot rest doesn't work. I'm returning that recliner for other reasons and buying a LazBoy. Whatever I get I will definately try the vacuum hose as suggested by phishpan.

Phisphan98, you solved my problem. Thanks for your suggestion using the vacuum hose. It works like a charm and I was about to spend $25 on a "gadget" that does the same thing. I love you guys and gals for all your help. Don't know any of you but I'm starting to feel a kinship.

Consumer AdviceFebruary 2, 2010
Couple Shopping for Quality Recliner
Finding a Quality Recliner
Leather Recliner
Reupholstering a Recliner
🎄