Berber Carpet Remnants

I found this berber carpet remnant (13 feet x 17 feet) at our local Habitat Thrift Store. I only paid $30 for it and it was brand new! Most Habitat resale stores will carry home improvement deals left over from housing projects. The cost to buy this size rug would have cost me about $500. Instead, I bought about 8 yards of burlap from Joann's that happened to be on sale for $1.99 per yard. I sewed the burlap into strips and folded them around the edges, securing with a commercial glue gun. All for a finished product of $50! Nothing is impossible if you're willing to think outside the box!

By April from Albany, Georgia

Anonymous

Wow, that's great! We've been looking to get a bound berber rug for our family room, and need one just a tinge smaller than you have.

We've looked at remnants at carpet and environmental stores and as you mentioned, after binding it's still around $500.

Unfortunately it appears that our only habitat thrift stores are three hours away. Too bad. A good cause and good deals to be had.

Enjoy your rug!

This is just a great idea. And if you have an older carpet with frayed edges, I bet you could trim it, do the burlap-and-glue-gun thing, and make it look almost new again.

This is awesome. I have been wondering how I could finish the edges of a large leftover piece of berber. Now, I'm going to have a new area rug. Thanks for the tip.