SubstitutionsFood Tips

Substituting Parchment Paper for Wax Paper

Can I substitute parchment paper for wax paper in a baking recipe?

By ljhogheaven

No you can't. Wax paper has a film on it while parchment paper does not which means nothing will transfer to your cookies etc that your are baking.

Yes you can. If you are using it for a lining for cakes or cookies it will work better than wax paper, because there will be no wax on the food. When using on cakes lightly grease the pan. Then add the parchment paper and lightly grease the parchment paper to keep it from sticking. The best way is to use a pastry brush. When baking cookies just put the parchment paper on the pan; no greasing necessary. This is for most cookies I have never had any cookies stick using parchment paper. If you have a problem with some sticking just lightly grease. Also can be used to cover food like roast instead of foil for baking.

Yep, you sure can!

http://www.cook … rchmentpaper.pdf

When using parchment paper for cookie baking, you can use it over and over until you decide it's had it. I worked in a professional bakery and he worked it until it started breaking apart and it still kept the cookies from sticking. I wouldn't go quite this far with Reynold's but I've used it 4 or 5 times if the cookies weren't greasy.

I would think that most time, parchment paper would be preferred. The wax on wax paper is there to keep the air out, as when we used to wrap sandwiches in it. No one uses wax paper for that anymore, as baggies and plastic sandwiches are better. I can't remember the last time I used wax paper for something which needed the actual wax coating.

Louel sure brought back some memories of our sandwiches being wrapped in wax paper when I was a kid! (I'm 52.)

I never did use wax paper for baking; however, I line my cookie tins and containers for storing cookies, bakery/pastry, and homemade caramel corn. (Anything that is potentially greasy or sticky.)