Buying Used Items for Remodeling

I'm in the process of remodeling and rather than going and buying new stuff, I'd like to see what's available used (and less expensive!). Does anyone know where I can look?

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By erica (Guest Post) 06/27/2005

join your county's freecycle group and put up a wanted post.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Grandma Margie (Guest Post) 06/27/2005

Go to the website for Habitat for Humanity. On that site.....find your state........and then your county. They have "stores" full of donated, used items ranging from building materials, bathroom fixtures, kitchen cabinets, kitchen appliances, paint, furniture, light fixtures.......you name it ......it's probably there! The stores are called "Re Store". All items are donated. The staff is volunteer. All proceeds go to the Habitat for Humanity program to build homes. Just be sure to check your location's operating hours. The one in our city is open three days a week. Anyone can shop there. Also, if you have items to donate they are a good place to consider. They do so much good for communities and low-income folks who'd appreciate a "hand-up" rather than a "hand-out".

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By (Guest Post) 06/29/2005

I agree with freecycle.com. It's a great place to give and get things for free. You might also try craigslist.org and click on the city nearest you. It is world wide now. There you can post things to sell, trade and give or get for free.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Julie 3 86 06/30/2005

If your town or one near by has a salvage yard, I would look there. Goodwill or the Salvation Army stores in our area sometimes have items too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Becki in Indiana (Guest Post) 07/08/2005

Is there an expensive furniture store in your area that offers "free removal of your old furniture" when you purchase new? If so, chances are very good that they take that old furniture that they remove free, spiff it up and resell it in their "bargain basement" or a back room. Call and ask if they sell any "reconditioned" furniture -- they don't usually advertise it, because they want you to buy the more expensive, new stuff! This also applies to appliances -- I bought a "reconditioned" refrigerator for $50 that lasted for years!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Rose (Guest Post) 05/10/2006

interested in used security bars for windows

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No