Three Meals for $4.00

My tip is to be ready to adapt and succeed. If you find yourself in unexpected circumstances, allow for it.

One day with $4.00 to spend on dinner. I managed to make dinner from a package of six chicken legs. I put 2 in for soup. We ate the other 4. Package = $.98.

From a package of 10 chicken wings, we cut the tips from the wings and ate the wings BBQ'd. Saved the tips for soup. pkg = $1.29

For the soup: 1 large carrot, 1 large celery for $.48, sliced into pennies, 1 pkg of irregular noodles for $.25. Box of crackers for $.69.

Realizing I had $.31 left, I went ahead and bought a box of jello for $.25.

I bought all these items in the discount bins. We had a lot of chicken but we loved it.

By Just a Country Girl

I copied this down; this helps a lot for an emergancy idea as well as a money saver when times get lean which has happened to us. Thankyou

WOW! I dont know where you shop but our sale bins arent that cheap, let alone the chicken. We shop at Save-A-Lot Celery is MABY

$1.26 a pk of 6 chicken legs would probably be at least $3.00

Noodles are .79 crackers are .69 Jello is .29. We have went there for ages. I want your store lol

I love your resourcefulness. It reminds me that we often spend much more than we need to for the simple things.

I keep reading all of your wonderful tips, and most of them are amazingly good, but I kept wondering where in the world you were buying your proteins for such a low price. I pay anywhere from $2.50 to $4 per pound for chicken or turkey, and way more than that for beef or lamb. Fish? $6 a pound at Sam's Club in the next town over, up to as much as $17 a pound if I go to the much more conveniently located, but far more expensive, local fishmonger. Cheese? Around $8 a pound.

A pound of meat in one meal? Forget it! I use four to six ounces of meat to feed myself and my DH, and double it if we have guests over, but it's certainly not the main dish. In fact, there isn't even enough to make it a separate dish at all. It's just a flavoring, really, in dishes that feature vegetables, legumes, grains, fruits, and nuts.

Then it occurred to me: Kosher meat costs 3 to 4 times what non-kosher meat costs. Kosher fish, 2-5 times the cost of non-kosher fish, depending on species. Kosher cheese/yogurt/other dairy products, 4-8 times the cost of non-kosher cheeses.

Oh, well, at least the dried beans and peas, and the fresh fruits and vegetables, cost the same.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cheap MealsDecember 7, 2006
Tres Leche Cake
Tres Leche Cake Recipes
Xoloitzcuintli (Mexican Hairless)
Xoloitzcuintli (Mexican Hairless) Breed Information and Photos
Corn growing in a three sisters mound.
Growing Corn, Beans and Squash Together (Three Sisters)
A mother showing her son how to crack an egg.
Teaching Kids to Cook