Crohn's Disease and Small Stature

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in fifth grade and I am now in ninth grade. During fifth grade I was only 3' 1" tall, I just recently made it to 5' and have not had my growth spurt yet. I have a good diet and run everyday. I was wondering if there is any way I could grow?

By Alexandria from Corona, CA

http://www.livingwithcrohnsdisease. ... ase/pediatric_crohns/appearance.html

Talk to your parents and have them make an appointment for you to see a specialist.

My eight year old daughter has Ulcerative Colitis which is closely related to Crohns. Please feel free to contact me at any time. My email is tamiwalsh333@yahoo.com. We would love to get to know more people with these conditions. The best website I know is the crohns and colitis foundation which is CCFA.org. I hope this helps.

How old are you? If you have started your monthly cycles then you are past your growth spurt. How tall are your parents? If they are not tall it's likely you will be the same. Talk with your doctor or other health care professional for reasonable expectations.

Have you been tested for gluten intolerance (celiac disease)? It can cause small stature and is often not diagnosed. Some symptoms are the same as Crohn's. It is possible to have both.

Do talk to your parents and doctor but also know that you might not gain a couple more inches until your late teens. I was 5'3" when I started the ninth grade (age 14) and by the time I graduated high school I was 5'5".

I started my monthly cycles at age 13 and was about 5'1" at that time and ended up gaining four inches over the following five years. I know it's usually boys who have late growth spurts but we girls can have them too.

Also, there's also nothing wrong with being 5' tall if that's the tallest you attain! My best girlfriend (for 43 years now) is 5' and she's a spitfire. ;-)

I really wouldn't even worry about getting taller or not. I'm 5ft 1" tall and my 28year old daughter is 4ft 11". We don't have Crohn's. It's just genetic and has never been a big deal for either of us. We get along just fine at the height we are.

Alexandria, I'm sorry to hear Crohn's is making you unhappy. Your doctor can tell you how to manage it.

As for your height, I honestly don't see how Crohn's could affect that. Some ailments can, but I don't think Crohn's is on that list. 5' sounds like a good height for a young woman. I was 4'10" at 14, but had gotten to 5'2.5" by graduation at 18. My advice? Just remind yourself and everyone around you, good things - and dynamite - come in small packages!

I got Crohns at a young age too, and followed many surgeries during my teenage years. I was always too small, caused problems with dating, being a target, etc. too. My weight was 62 lbs and height 5"2" when I was 21. No dieting, lots of treats. When I started eating better, taking better care of myself, by the time I was 35, I had accepted being small, when I got an illiostomy pouch, and then a growth spurt, and went up to 5"5", and am now a comfy 135 lbs. And I look normal and fine. Even my boobs grew in with some decent weight on my bones. I feel in pain still, but that's another matter. I was shocked that just when I had finally accepted it, I finished growing. They called it, Delayed Puberty. Problem is , how long am I going to be fertile as I am 50, and its starting to worry me.

Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 4, 2010
Spraying a rose bush.
Treating Roses With Witch's Broom Disease
Houseplants
Treating Fungal Disease on Houseplants
Homemade Dog Food
Homemade Food for Dog with Kidney Disease
Photo of a Mini Dachshund by the water.
Dachshund Breed Information and Photos
🎄
🍂