Dachshund Breed Information and Photos

Breed Description:
  • Dachshunds come in two sizes, standard and miniature, and three types of coats: smooth-haired, longhaired, and wirehaired.

• The breed is easily distinguished by its low, long muscular body and disproportionately stubby legs-perfect for moving about in the tunnel or den of a badger.
  • Despite their lapdog status, this breed has stamina and agility and displays great courage.

Group: Hound group

Purpose of Breed: Hunting badgers

Country of Origin: Germany

Average Size: Standard Dachshunds are 8 inches and weigh 16-32 pounds. Miniature Dachshunds are 6 inches and usually weigh under 11 pounds.

Color(s): Dachshunds can be any color, except white.

Coat Type: Standard and Miniature Dachshunds have three coat types. The smooth- haired coat is short and shiny, the longhaired coat is of medium length and slightly wavy, and the wirehaired coat is thick and hard.

Grooming: The longhaired and wirehaired coat varieties require more grooming. In general, Dachshunds are medium shedders, have very little dog odor, and need less bathing than most other small breeds. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: Dachshunds do well in apartments as long as they get a moderate amount of daily exercise to prevent obesity. They are naturally suspicious and tend to bark at strangers.

Temperament:

• Dachshund's are lively little dogs with an independent nature and playful spirit.
  • They tend to bond deeply with one person, and although they love to play, they often do so by their own sets of rules.
  • This breed is highly intelligent, but their independent nature can make them a bit mischievous and difficult to train.
  • Still, they are loyal and affectionate and make wonderful companions.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to genetic eye disease, disc and skin problems and obesity.

Life Expectancy: Can be long-lived, up to 16 years.

Trivia: Dachshund's were originally bred for hunting badgers. Translated from German, the name means Dachs (badgers), hund (dog).

Read More or Comment...

(submitted via email)
I happen to have an AKC registered Piebald dachshund, named Franklin, that is very white. They are rare but they are out there. I also have a blue dapple and a silver wire hair. Love my weenie dogs. I've had at least one for the past 41 years.

By D.E.w. from Shreveport, LA

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

This is my baby Sasha. Isn't she the cutest thing you have ever seen? I had to share her pictures. She's an 8 week old mini-dachshund! Cute huh!?

Thanks,

Darci from San Antonio, TX

Sasha (Mini Dachshund)

Comment Like this photo? 4

Hippie is now a 3 year old Mini Wire Hair Dachshund. Hippie is a registered Doxie from Stone Valley Breeders and I got him for a gift and addition to our family for my husband 3 years ago. Hippie enjoys all activities: racing, car shows, riding the 4 X 4 buggy in the woods (which he considers his), and playing in the water. He loves everyone and especially his daddy and mama. Hippie is the absolute most precious little guy ever! We love all animals and of course all the ones that are or have been in our lives, but Hippie is just an exception and he knows it. (haha) He brings us such joy and entertainment.

For a look at Hippie two years ago click here: Hippie

By Dawnie from Cumming, GA

Hippie on a float board in the pool.

Comment Like this photo? 13

This is Simon (red) and Buster (black and tan). Simon is a 7 year old Standard Dachshund and Buster is a 5 year old Mini Black and Tan Dachshund. We got Simon from a city breeder and Buster from a country breeder. Each one has a definite city dog/country dog personality.

Simon likes to play tug and cuddle under the blankets and Buster likes to play ball and tear his toys apart. They are true best friends. I call the picture "The Ying and Yang of Dachshunds."

By Robin from Aurora, CO

Simon (Standard Dachshund)

Comment Like this photo? 14

Berkley is a 9 year old Minature Dapple Dachshund. Berkley was a gift to my daughter from a friend while in college. Between college and work, there was little time left for Berkley. So during Spring Break, Berkley came to stay two weeks so mom could go for a break herself. Two weeks turned into 9 years and he's still here and will stay here!

He loves to eat! He also likes riding around town with the window down and the wind blowing his ears back and laying out in the front yard sunning in the summer. Berkley is my world! He loves to give kisses and lick the lipstick off his aunt DiDi.

He likes rolling around in the dry grass scratching and then looking like a scarecrow with dry grass sticking to him all over even in his 1 cm eyelashes! He loves chasing squirrels and cats, knowing he will not know what to do with them if he were to catch them.

By Nini from Sweetwater, TX

dachshund

Comment Like this photo? 16

Maggie May is almost 3 years old. She is a Dachshund mix (weenie dog). We got her on New Year's Eve 2006. We got Maggie May from a friend who I grew up with since 1st grade. He passed away about 6 months later (cancer). His name was Thurman May, that's why we named her Maggie May, after Thurman. When we told him her, name he just smiled. It really made him happy, he loved his dogs and so do we.

She likes to hunt anything that moves with her two sisters, Pattie and Rosie. She also loves to ride anything, tractor, 4 wheeler, suburban, etc. Maggie May was mine and Beth's first baby in our relationship, and she is a very good big sister, and we love her and we are very proud of her. She won first place for most unusual color when she was 1 year old in the pet parade in Guntersville.

By Michael from Guntersville, Alabama

Comment Like this photo? 7

Angel is 22 months old. Angel is a black and gold, long haired, female, mini Dachshund.In July of 2009 when I was pining for a new baby, since the loss of our beloved "Josie", same as Angel but a black and tan.

Angel (Mini Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 13

Hippie is almost 2. He is a Miniature Wirehaired Dachshund. I met a very nice lady while antiquing that breeds the Dachshunds. He loves to stay in the shop and work on cars with his Dad.

Hippie (Miniature Wirehaired Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 14

Tubby Butt is a 2 year old Miniature Dachshund. I got her last year. She was in a puppy mill and I rescued her. She was skinny and hairless and had her leg broken. Now she is the happiest doggie ever. I love her more than life itself.

Dog snuggling under blanket.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 15

BoBBle-Head Lou is a 9 year old Mini Dachshund. He was one of 8 babies my pair of Doxies had. He was so tiny he was literally the size of my thumb and I had to bottle feed him from day 1.

Mini Dachshund

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 10

Pebbles is a 4 year old Mini-dachshund. I got her and her brother BamBam on Craigslist last October. She is totally fascinated with the squirrels. In addition to chasing them all day, she loves to dig up the pecans they hide, and eats them!

A brown mini dachshund on a cream colored carpet.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

Linda is a 3 year old Dachshund. One day, in a store, we saw a sign saying they sold puppies and a week later we bought her. She likes to pose for photos and scare away birds from our garden.

Linda (Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

BitBit is 2 years old and a Dachshund. We got her on Valentine's Day, my dad and my little brother went to chose one. When I saw her, I knew she was the one. I had wanted a dog for a long time.

BitBit (Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Molly and Oliver are Dachshunds! They are best friends. They play together all the time. They are so funny together! They act just alike.

Two Dachshunds on couch.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

Buddy is a 7 years old Miniature Dachshund. His birthday is March 7. We got him from a breeder at 8 weeks old. I traveled 300 miles to get him and he's been worth each and every mile, and then some!

Buddy (Miniature Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 15

We adopted him 3 years ago.

black and tan Dachshund

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

Lester is a 3 years young short haired dachshund. I drove over 300 miles to pick up Lester when he was 6 weeks old. Lester loves his tennis balls and he will play with one for hours when it's stuffed in an old sock.

Lester (Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

He was rescued from Animal Control, August 16,2015. He plays with his toys, chews on his bone, lays in my lap!

closeup of dog's face

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

We found her in the shelter in Fresno about two years ago and fell in love with her right away. She was the only dog in there that was sleeping in the middle of the day!

Mini Dachshund

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

BamBam is a 5 year old Dachshund. I got both him and his sister Pebbles on Craigslist last October. They went from being crated day and night, to having a doggie door and free run of the yard.

A brown dachshund on a cream colored couch

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 13

Lenard is a one and a half year old Miniature Dachshund. I got him January 2008, a gift for upcoming 'empty nest.' He likes to watch birds from his window seat, and play with his toy raccoons. He never meets a stranger, and loves everyone!

Lenard (Miniature Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Baron von Frank Fruiter, is a four year old Miniature Dachshunc. Frankie is from a litter of my other Dachshund, Priscilla. Frankie likes to chase cats and chew the squeakers out of his mother's toy, because he can't stand the noise they make.

Dog sitting up on haunches.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

He has been a part of our family since he was 12 weeks old.

Hippie with his Santa hat.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

Hippie is 4 years old and a mini Wirehaired Dachshund. I picked Hippie as a gift for my husband from a wonderful family from Stone Valley.

Hippie (Mini Wirehaired Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

KC is a 15 year old Dachshund. He was 2 years old when we got KC. He was a stud dog. We bought him from a newspaper ad. Kc likes to roll on his little squeak toys.

KC (Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Mr. Wiggles is an 8 week old Mini Dachshund. He is one of Miss Penelope's little babies. There are 4 all together.

Mini Dachshund in red and green elf hat.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

I got him in mid-November 2015 from "All About Puppies" in Largo, Florida. He likes to meet new people (especially the ladies), cuddle, and chew on his rawhide bone!

Dude (Miniature Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 10

I always wanted a sapphire ring when it came time to take early retirement from my job. When I went to the jewelry store to purchase one, I decided I'd rather spend the money on another Dachshund (puppy) and I would call her Sapphire!

long haired Dachshund

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Scooter is a 4 year old Dachshund. A few years ago we were given Dachshunds outside of a pet store. The owner was being relocated to another state and could not take the Dachshunds. Scooter was born to these dogs.

Scooter (Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

Gilead (Dachshund). Gilead is 7 years old and is a Dachshund. Someone I know breeds Dachsies. Gilead was born without eyes and was going to be put down. I couldn't let that happen!

Comment Like this photo? 1

Molly is 2.5 years old and a Dachshund. I was given Molly in Sept 2008 by her owner who was traveling a lot and wanted a good home for her.

Molly (Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

Stanley is 8 years old and a Long Hair Standard Dachsund. I got Stanley through a friend who breeds and show them. He loves to sit and beg for food most of the time. He goes to work with me everyday, since I groom dogs for a living.

Standard Dachshund

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Missy Jo is a 1 year old miniature Dachshund. We have the mother. She likes to play in the water.

Missy running.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Kasha was 14 years old and a Dachshund (deceased 03-26-08). He was rescued from a Humane Society Shelter after being in 2 previous homes.

Kasha (Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Toby is my 10 year old Dachshund. I purchased Toby as a 3 month old puppy from a local pet store. He likes to stand on his head and scratch his nose. He loves walks, begging for food from my dinner plate, and sleeping on my lap.

Comment Like this photo? 5

Puder is a blue and tan Dachshund, about 2 1/2 years old. I got him as a puppy when he was 6 weeks old, from a doctor and his wife.

Puder (Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

Princess is a 10 years old Standard Dachshund. Her birthday will be April 1. I got her on Mother's Day, 2000 from a breeder we she was 8 weeks old. She's been the best Mother's Day present I've ever gotten. Princess is a very fun loving dog, even at the ripe old age of 10.

Princess (Standard Dachshund)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 21
Load More