Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Lumpy Comforter

My son recently washed my queen size comforter. Long story short, it is now a very lumpy comforter. Is there any thing I can do to save it, make normal?

By Karen from Charleston, SC

By Nan Corpe [6]02/01/2011

A queen size down comforter would be too large to wash in the average home washer. This should be washed (and dried) in a large commercial machine. Most laundromats have them.

By Joan [13]05/11/2010

Any comforter that I have had, no matter the price gets lumpy, even without being laundered. In fact I'm not real sure that they aren't lumpy when I buy them. I finally switched to the old fashioned chenille bedspreads. At least they don't get lumpy.

By Cricket [201]11/04/2009

I've had this happen too. I wound up cutting it down to size, and using it under my dogs' bed! They love it and don't mind the lumps! LOL

By Cajun [55]10/30/2009

If I recall correctly, placing a couple of tennis shoes in the dryer with the lumpy item will remove the lumps.
Forgot to mention that this is also the method for drying pillows after they've been washed....
ALWAYS REMOVE THE SHOE LACES to avoid them wrapping around the article

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Lumpy Comforter

I washed my sons comforter which says the filling is 100% cotton. It said it could be put in dryer. I now have a clean comforter, but the inside has big balls of cotton all formed in different spots rather than all dispersed throughout the blanket. What can I do? I purchased this from Target and they won't do anything about it. Please help.

Berni from Roslyn, PA

RE: Lumpy Comforter

Rewash with about 3 or 4 golf or tennis balls in the wash and this will redistribute the inside of the comforter. I use this when I wash foam pillows, also. (12/20/2006)

By Paula