Refilling a Comforter

Category Miscellaneous
If the fabric on your comforter is still in good shape, but the filling is getting lumpy, try refilling it. This is a guide about refilling a comforter.

How can I repair an old comforter that is losing its insides? My mom doesn't want to part with it but as I wash it the insides keeps coming out. Thank you.

By flower51

Answers

You mention the insides are coming out; does it have the seam loose to where it needs to be stitched? Walmart sells batting in a roll in which you buy the size you need. If you want to make it full again and plump, you just undo one end of the comforter by using a seam ripper and you insert your new filling inside making sure to get it straight in there in the corners then just stitch it back up. I make all sizes of comforters and the filling is ready to unroll and use and sells for $7 to $15 depending on the size and thickness you want to purchase. you can leave your old filling inside and just layer it on top of it which will make it plumper.

I would repair the hole, and then get a nice snap closed cover that you put the comforter inside and it doubles the warmth and keeps it cleaner. I have one that is flannel, and I use it for a sheet now, but in the summer it's in storage. You can get them just about anywhere.

You can also "sandwich" the comforter between two fleece blankets and "tie" the edges closed like you might a quilt.
Good Luck!