Refilling Liquid Containers

Category Helpful Hints
When refilling containers you don't want to waste a drop or make a mess. This guide is about refilling liquid containers.

I keep my cooking oil in a reusable squirt bottle. Since I'm blind, the process of refilling it has sometimes resulted in quite a mess. In spite of this, I'd rather do for myself than ask for help.

When my squirt bottle needed refilling recently and someone else was using the counter space, I had this brainstorm. I worked in the sink. Not only was it easier - the sink is lower than the counter, and that made access easier for a short person like me - any drips or spills went right down the drain.

One more thing I think I'll try next time is to wrap a rubber band or two around the regular oil bottle and my little squirt bottle. That will make for a better, more secure grip. Voila - no more oil messes!

By Lelia Jo Cordell from Springfield, OH

Also using a funnel helps too!

Yes! I forgot to add that.

Bless your heart. My vision is fading, too, and I will consider doing just what you've done. Thanks. However, I will not use the sink to catch oils or warm grease, because my plumbing is old, and because cold weather is not quite over, I cannot afford the drain cleaner when either is mixed with flour dusted from my hands or when soaps harden with the oils/grease.

So, instead, I will wait until I've tossed a few pieces of newspaper into the plastic trash sack and use the trash as a good place, even a better height for me, to work over.

God bless you. : )

Good thinking, LindaGayle. We don't usually keep newspaper around, but I think I should try putting a layer in my sink next time I refill my oil bottle. I love TF. :D