Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Making Fake Desserts

0EmailPrintFollowSave

Does anyone know how to make those fake cakes? It looks like the frosting is made of plaster of Paris.

By GrandmaV from SF Bay Area

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Janet Kiley 1 06/22/2009 Flag

I love making Fake Cake. My rendition uses Styrofoam as the "cake" and canned frosting. I start with blocks of good Styrofoam that you can carve easily with an electric knife. You can add more layers by securing the Styrofoam together with white glue and toothpicks. Then you frost the Styrofoam. I serve them on a Styrofoam board, covered in foil. Its very funny!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Patricia Eldridge 269 06/22/2009 Flag

You can also use a type of frosting called "fondant" which is rolled smooth and then place on the cake. You can find a recipe for "rolling fondant" at www.foodnetwork.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Michelle Landreth 17 67 06/25/2009 Flag

You can make them easily with styrofoam and Royal Icing. The icing gets rock hard and will last indefinitely, as long as it's not exposed to humidity.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Polymer clay makes the prettiest candies you've ever seen and most definitely very life like! I made some years ago and everyone that came into my home would try to eat them. lol I can't tell you how many have reached and popped them into their mouths before I could stop them. They look exactly like the old fashioned hard Christmas candies. You can make them any colors you want and any shape you want and they last forever!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda 45 303 06/25/2009 Flag

This link has some interesting items.

http://www.plasteelcorp.com/foamshapes/category/cakes.html

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes