Making Fake Desserts

Does anyone know how to make those fake cakes? It looks like the frosting is made of plaster of Paris.

By GrandmaV from SF Bay Area

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I love making Fake Cake. My rendition uses Styrofoam as the "cake" and canned frosting. I start with blocks of good Styrofoam that you can carve easily with an electric knife. You can add more layers by securing the Styrofoam together with white glue and toothpicks. Then you frost the Styrofoam. I serve them on a Styrofoam board, covered in foil. Its very funny!

You can also use a type of frosting called "fondant" which is rolled smooth and then place on the cake. You can find a recipe for "rolling fondant" at www.foodnetwork.com

You can make them easily with styrofoam and Royal Icing. The icing gets rock hard and will last indefinitely, as long as it's not exposed to humidity.

Polymer clay makes the prettiest candies you've ever seen and most definitely very life like! I made some years ago and everyone that came into my home would try to eat them. lol I can't tell you how many have reached and popped them into their mouths before I could stop them. They look exactly like the old fashioned hard Christmas candies. You can make them any colors you want and any shape you want and they last forever!

This link has some interesting items.

http://www.plasteelcorp.com/foamshapes/category/cakes.html

Answer

Faux bundt cake
Making Fake Food
Crafts AdviceJune 22, 2009
Faux Fingernails
Using Faux Fingernails
sore nails
Remedies for Nail Pain After Removing Acrylic Nails
Fake Logs
Making Fake Logs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 1:09:58 AM on 10.0.2.131 in 515 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.