Freeze an Envelope to Remove a Stamp

To remove a stamp from an envelope, put the envelope in the freezer for a few hours. When you remove it, the stamp will pop right off. The adhesive is still good and the stamp can then be placed wherever you want to use it.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

The Post Office Police are gonna be knockin' on yer door!!!!! Just teasing you - thanks for the tip!

I've had my envelopes in the freezer for nearly 9 months. Took them out to try to get the stamps off with no luck. However, the below comment about the fingernail polish remover worked great!

You can remove a stamp by steaming it,boil water, hold the envelope over the steam.

I sometimes seal an envelope before I'm ready to mail it,I steam it open the same way,then I have to seal it back with tape.

The steam or freeze tips are for lick an stick items, not peel and stick things. The gummy adhesive will not release it's hold like the old type of glue did. Sorry.

Thanks. I usually peel carefully and then reglue.

I read somewhere you could put a little paint thinner on a q-tip and rub it on the inside of the envelope. I didn't have any, so I tried nail polish remover. Oh my goodness--the stamp almost immediately peeled off clean, and it was still sticky! It will be so easy to reuse!

The finger nail polish suggestion worked great. They are not sticky, but glue sticks work great. The freezer trick nor the steam trick worked as well as the finger nail polish!

Better Living Frugal Living TipsNovember 19, 2008
Gifts That Fit in an Envelope
Christmas Gifts That Fit in an Envelope
Stamp Collection
Selling a Stamp Collection
Sealed Envelope
Opening a Sealed Envelope