How to Remove Stamps from Envelopes

Category Frugal Living
With a little steam and some care, stamps can often be removed from envelopes. Use these tips to learn how to remove stamps from envelopes.

There are several ways to remove a stamp from an envelope. This is a guide about freeze an envelope to remove a stamp.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Here's a tip for stamp collectors: Place a few drops of water on the stamp to be removed from the envelope. Heat in the microwave for 20 seconds and the stamp will come right off.

By Robin

How can I remove postage stamps from return envelopes from charities I'm not going to donate to? I read about using a hairdryer, but I can't get that to work. It seems a shame to throw out the stamp when I am not using it to send a donation. I'm talking about the stamped envelopes that come as enclosures from a charity requesting a donation. Is it ethical?

By HJ from DE

Answers

Best Answer

I don't think it's right to use a charity paid for stamp if you don't donate to that charity in other ways, frankly. I do understand though-postage is going up and a lot of us are on strictly restricted budgets, the temptation is incredible.

But wrong to succumb to. Just my opinion, but if my adult son did that I would speak to him about what he is teaching my grandson.

Best Answer

Someone said she didn't think it right to use a stamp from a charity. So she'd just trash it? If that stamp is mailed to me then it's mine to use as I choose. Sometimes there is so much waste in those charities. I don't believe in waste even if it is a 40 something stamp. In addition, they probably aren't paying for those stamps so why would they be mailing them out knowing a great percentage won't be used.

As to your question: Bring a pan of water to boil on the stove and lay the envelope above the pan but not touching the water. The stem will release the stamp; I've done it when I've put a stamp on an envelope and decided not to use that envelope. And call me dishonest if you wish, but I'd have no problem if that stamp was mailed to me from a charity because I don't like unsolicited mail or phone calls. My 2 cents worth.

I have some stamps that are stuck on old letters and was wondering how to get them off. Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

Are the stamps stuck to the letters? Or the envelope. If the stamps are stuck to the envelope, you can cut around the stamp - then in hot water let the stamps sit in the water for a few seconds until you can peel the stamp away.

Here is an example: https://www.you  ch?v=uaYKdK7A2OY

I do this method with stamps when I accidentally don't need to mail anything because I bill pay already.

Best Answer

I just tried it with a blow dryer and it worked. Put the hair dryer on high heat and blow on the stamp until it gets hot enough to loosen the glue. Carefully peel the stamp up while blowing medium heat on the glue as you peel. It only took a minute or so for me to remove this stamp.

This method also works great for removing labels from plastic containers and other purchases you make.

Best Answer

Most of the methods stated will work at some time or other but my question would be why are you wanting to remove the stamps?

Stamps on mail that has been through the USPS cannot legally be removed and reused.
If you are wanting to save these stamps for a collection then here are a couple of really good sites that have excellent instructions:

http://stamps.org/Stamp-Tips

http://www.wiki  rom-Its-Envelope