Freeze an Envelope to Remove a Stamp

Category Tips
There are several ways to remove a stamp from an envelope. This is a guide about freeze an envelope to remove a stamp.

To remove a stamp from an envelope, put the envelope in the freezer for a few hours. When you remove it, the stamp will pop right off. The adhesive is still good and the stamp can then be placed wherever you want to use it.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Top Comment

I read somewhere you could put a little paint thinner on a q-tip and rub it on the inside of the envelope. I didn't have any, so I tried nail polish remover. Oh my goodness--the stamp almost immediately peeled off clean, and it was still sticky! It will be so easy to reuse!

Top Comment

The finger nail polish suggestion worked great. They are not sticky, but glue sticks work great. The freezer trick nor the steam trick worked as well as the finger nail polish!

The Post Office Police are gonna be knockin' on yer door!!!!! Just teasing you - thanks for the tip!

You can remove a stamp by steaming it. Boil water, hold the envelope over the steam.

I sometimes seal an envelope before I'm ready to mail it. I steam it open the same way, then I have to seal it back with tape.
Kathleen, Dothan, AL