Chalkboard Can't Be Written On

I have a chalkboard that seems to have a coating of some sort over it now and I can't write on it anymore. Is there something that would take care of this for me.

Lorie from Ontario, NY

There is chalkboard paint you can buy and recoat the chalkboard with it. It comes in green and black.

I have heard that you can 'recondition' your chalkboard by doing this... take a piece of chalk and hold it lengthwise to the board and go all over the board with it...then wipe it off as usual with a eraser or dry paper towel. You might have to do this a couple of times. Hope this helps.

I actually went to lowes and bought chalkboard paint. It paints on smooth and when there is a problem, you can paint it over again and again. Also there is magnetic paint which you can prime on in several coats. it will make the board magnet and also chalk. I painted my kitchen table with the chalkboard paint and it was a big hit with my teenage daughter and her friends, also cool for putting those to do notes that always seemed to get overlooked. Hard to overlook large pink letters!

You tend to wear through quicker, but then I just get out the pint can and repaint.

I painted chalkboard paint on my pantry door which I thought was smooth. The surface is very rough and eats chalk like a monster. The door is so rough you cant even clean with a paper towel bc it tears it to pieces. I wonder if I can sand the door and start over?

rub chalkboard with "0000" (extra fine) steel wool.

Use Dawn Power Dissolver (it's for gunked up pans and such). Works like a charm! I just did my chalk board with it and it's beautiful and easy to write on now! You should be able to get it at any grocery store or Wal-mart.

Home and Garden Repair OtherJanuary 1, 2007
homemade chalkboard
Making a Chalkboard
Dry Erase Markers on White Background
Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Chalk Board
Tall Glasses with black stripe of chalkboard painted on them. The glass centered inthe image has Kate written on it, a yellow striped straw in the glass and a piece of chalk laying in front.
Using Chalkboard Paint
black chalkboard
Homemade Chalkboard Paint