Computer & OfficeProduct Reviews

Mac Mini Intel Core Duo Reviews

Product: Mac Mini

Model: 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo Superdrive

Manufacturer: Apple Computer

Request: Will this computer handle the things I like to do like, record Music, Graphic Design, Video Editing etc? Or should I spend the big bucks on a G5 and not waist my time with a Mini?

Silas from Spokane, WA

Hi Si!

The new Mac Mini's are pretty fast compared to the g4 models but with video, music and graphic design you are going to be a lot happier with a pro model unless you are just dabbling as a hobby. It's a nice office and home computer. Since you happen to be my cousin and I know you are a professional musician I think you would be a lot happier with a tower, especially a year from now. I wouldn't buy G5 Power Mac, though. They are going to release intel towers soon which will be much faster than the g5 towers currently available. I think they may even release them next week. Which means there should be a price drop on new g5's in the near future if you want a bargain on a tower and a lot of used g5's should hit the market, too. If money was no object I would wait and get an intel pro computer. It might be wise to wait a month after the release, sometimes they release an improved revision that corrects problems the first round of buyers had.

The real advantage of the pro computers over the mini/ibook/macbook is that they have better video cards and the video is upgradable. Also, you can put much more RAM in them. You can only put 2 GB in an intel mini. Also, you can put more than one hard drive in the pro towers which is usually necessary for video projects.

At the current prices the mini is $799.00 but only has an 80GB hard drive and 512MB ram (which is just enough RAM for email and web browsing). When you add a 2GB upgrade and a bigger hard drive it easily gets over $1,000, so you wouldn't want to get one and be disappointed with it in a few months.

Lewis

Thanks for the info Lew, I will definatly get the tower if I go Mac then. Hope all is well say hi to the Fam. Got a message on My Space from Stella today from Nam.

Si