FleasPest Control

Putting Frontline on a (former) Stray Cat

I have an indoor/outdoor cat. This cat is not the cuddly type. He was a stray. We began to feed him, now he comes in and has become a little friendlier. But not enough for a bath, or even to put flea stuff on him. I pay a rescue lady to put frontline on him once a month, but her months are getting longer as she is so busy.

I wonder if anyone has a remedy for something I could use in-between her getting here. Sometimes it is 2 weeks after his month has expired before she gets back. He doesn't like canned food of any kind, therefore, I can't give him pills. He has trusted no one except me (he comes to me and sits in my lap) and I don't want to lose that with him. However, he will not allow me to put on his flea stuff, only the "cat lady".

I don't want to use a commercial spray on him as he cleans himself. Does anyone have any ideas?

Alex From Ohilo

P.S. He showed up the same day my dog died.

Is there any special treat that he likes? If you find something he likes could give him a treat while sitting on lao and only then when comfortable with this have the deops ready and feed him a treat with one hand and put drops on with other. Hw will be soon associating the dropes with a treat.

We have a cat that didn't like my husband and I got some cat treats and now they are best friends just takes patoence and and cinvincing the cat won;t be harmed.

I think there is really no good substitute for monthly Frontline treatment. I had gone to every other month, took my two dogs down to visit my parents, my father's dog gave my two dogs fleas. I will now be more diligent about using it monthly, since it's a big hassle to try to get rid of fleas from animals, rugs, couches, etc. Plus it makes the animals so uncomfortable.

Maybe, since he seems to trust you and willingly climbs into your lap, you could start massaging the area between his shoulderblades regularly and work up to a "massage" with Frontline. I bet that would work!

I use a product from Hartz that you apply between the shoulder blades on the skin. A little greasy on the hair, but seems to work fine.

maybe you can have him on your lap outside and comb him real good, but have a bowl of soapy water to deposit the fleas. Then give him a treat so he associates it with the combing./ Linda in Calif