Browsing: Repairing Wood Table Finish

Newspaper Stain on a Wood Table

I have a question about repairing wood tables. I placed a hot pan on a piece of newspaper that was laying on the dining table. When I realized what I'd done I jerked it up and took the paper up, leaving a circular ridge on the table. It's almost as if the paper fibers stuck to the table. I've tried to get it off with baking soda and toothpaste and it's not worked. The mixture has left a very shiny spot on my otherwise soft matte finish table. So now I have this raised burned mark that is highlighted by a glassy shine. What should I do?

Finisnash

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Being in the woodworking arena for quite some time I've restored everything from antique pianos to end tables. Short of taking it back down to the natural wood and refinishing it you have to find the base product that the stain is made from in this case I would say it's the newspaper ink. Since the paper itself is a wood byproduct that shouldn't be you problem. I would call your local newspaper and ask them if they would know what would break down newspaper ink as I'm sure various inks are comprised of different base products.

Thanks! I'll phone the newspaper and inquire about their ink. Now, what can I do to minimize the high gloss that must be a result of either the baking soda or toothpaste? My table has a satin finish, so this REALLY shiny spot is very noticable.

Wood Table Finish
Repairing Wood Table Finish
Home and Garden Repair Furniture TablesNovember 21, 2006
Bug Sprayed on Wood Table
Cleaning a Bug Spray Stain on Wood Table
Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 23, 2016 at 11:25:08 PM on 10.0.1.69 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.