Feeding Feral Cats

Does anyone have any advice on feeding outdoor feral, neutered and spayed cats a nutritional diet? Any advice and recipes would be greatly appreciated.

By Rachel from WI

Go to the website for Alley Cat Allies. They feed and neuter feral cats. Excellent people!

I would say put out kitten food, almost any will accept that and like it.

Hope this helps you.

I would put out excellent quality canned food when you are nearby and can be sure the right cats are eating it. Go to the store, read the labels, and look for meat as the first several ingredients--no by-products which is like junk food for us. If you can find excellent quality dry, this can be used for variety, but I believe canned is superior. The higher price is an investment in their health and will help prevent health problems. As a treat, you could also give them hamburger or baked chicken. I've seen recipes in bookstores, but ingredients may be hard to find and cats need specific supplements. Hope this helps!

God bless people like you for taking the time to care for these cats. Decent cat food, name brand if you can afford it is the best. Clean water too. When chicken is on sale buy one, cook it, cut it up and add a little to the dry food. I freeze the rest in small amounts to use for later. Even if you just boil the carcass of a turkey or chicken, there is still meat and broth. Don't add too much water though. I have a stray cat and this is what i do. Good luck.

February 7, 2011 Flag

I was walking down my street today and I saw three cats. Two were baby kittens, one orange, one white, and a black cat, which I am assuming is their mother. I put out some rabbit food and milk later that night and they came at around three in the morning. I put out some last night, but they didn't come, unless they came for a very short time and didn't eat very much. I am very desperate to get one of the kittens. If anybody has any kitten care tips or advice for how to get them to come back I would appreciate it. Thanks.

By Lexa from Indianapolis, IN

Answers:

Feeding Feral Cats

Have you had cats before (or do you have any now?)? It takes some work and money to be a good, responsible pet owner.

We found two stray kittens last year, about a month apart from each other. One was in the neighbor's yard, crying after a storm, and the other I found in our front yard, trying to hide right before a storm. I suspect they were siblings. We found a rescue to take the first one, and we kept the second one. If you manage to get a kitten, please take it to the vet right away.

We took ours in the very next day. He had fleas and worms, but he was too little to give any meds. He was fairly lethargic, and we think he wouldn't have survived if we hadn't taken him in. I had to wash him with dishwashing liquid every day or two and comb him with a flea comb. We took him to the vet as they recommended for all of his shots, and when he was big enough, we gave him meds for the fleas and worms. Turns out he had tapeworms, so he had to have a special med for that. Our other two cats got fleas from him. We got it controlled on them, but we'd find one or two on the kitten. It's not uncommon for cats with fleas to have tapeworms (it comes from when they're grooming and ingest the flea, then they get the tapeworms). Tapeworms are pretty icky. For whatever reason, the topical treatments didn't work for him, so we went to oral meds for fleas and tapeworms, and that took care of everything. We also got him fixed before he was six months old. While we were at it, we had them microchip him.

Our cats are indoor-only cats. We had no problem getting him to use the litter box. He eats a lot, and it's amazing how big he's gotten in one year. When they're wee little, they can and will get into everything. We still have sheets of foam core board blocking access to the back of our entertainment center (although he just hops on top and walks around now). He's different than our other cats were when they were young. He's like a cross between a dog and a toddler. He's fun, but he's trouble!

I just want to make sure you know that there's a lot that comes with getting a kitten. They're cute, but you need to make sure the kitten gets all of its shots, get it fixed so it doesn't add to the overpopulation problem, and have enough money set aside in case it needs some sort of emergency care. I feel so bad whenever I read on here about people whose pets need vet care, but they say they don't have the money. You need to have at least a couple hundred set aside just for your pet, just in case.

I hope it works out well for you, mama, and the kittens. If you're able to catch them and decide that ownership isn't for you, research for rescues/sanctuaries in the area. I called our vet's office to find the rescue we used. Best of luck.

(06/27/2010)

By mrs.story

Feeding Feral Cats

Important!
Kittens can start to bleed internally from drinking cow's milk. Use kitten formula found at any pet or department store.
(06/28/2010)

By Dedeswrkshop

Stray cat in a doorway.
Feeding Stray Cats
Pets CatsFebruary 7, 2011
Dealing With Stray Cats
Dealing With Stray Cats
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
feeding a cat
Feeding Multiple Cats
Cats in the Attic
Cats in the Attic
🎉
🎄