Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Yellow Stains From Inside Microwave

I burnt up plastic in my microwave. Now the walls are yellow and I cannot get rid of the horrid smell.

By Carrie1964 from San Marcos, CA

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Mary (Guest Post)03/19/2007

Try the Mr. Clean magic erase "sponges". I have found they work on everything, and although I haven't tried it yet on the microwave interior, it might just work on those yellowed walls.

By Denise (Guest Post)03/19/2007

Another reason NOT to use the programmed popcorn button!! Even the popcorn box tells you not to use the popcorn button. If will vary due to the wattage on your machine, but experiment a little to find the correct time, on high for your microwave. Mine it takes 2:30 and its perfect every time.

By Kaitlyn S.03/27/2014

Easy-off oven cleaner. Awful stains came off after about 30 minutes of soaking.

By Todd F.05/07/2013

I read all of these above and thought about getting some Acetone or Cutex. But, I keep Goof Off on hand. Goof Off will damage many plastics, but, the damage is usually limited to that of softening some of the color off non-white plastics. Since the original color of the inside of my 16 year old microwave that I've had for 15 years is white, and tonight, stained yellow, it shouldn't matter what Goof Off does. I tried it on a small area and it immediately cut through the yellow without hurting anything else. So I proceeded with it. Goof Off worked! My 16 year old microwave looks almost like new with a nice and clean white interior. Didn't need to leave it on for more than 30 seconds, and kept clean white paper towels in hand to keep the Goof Off any other plastics of a non-white color.

By Susan02/21/2011

I used acetone (from nail polish remover) right after I burnt the popcorn in the microwave..and it did the job!

By Cheryl Fontaine06/09/2010

Don't have a clue how to clean it - wanted to say that just knowing there are SO many OTHER people who have burned popcorn in their microwaves makes me feel immensely better. I did get rid of the odor in mine by using Clorox w/bleach spray, but the yellow may be there forever. I am going to try the acetate and then just give up and be happy with a yellow micro. Things could be worse.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Yellow Stains From Inside Microwave

I burnt popcorn in the microwave, the smell is gone but the inside is yellow. What can i use to make it white again?