Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing

I live in a dorm at school, none of the kids are supposed to use bleach, but of course they do. I've been the lucky person to put clothes in after they are done and have had 3 very nice shirts with bleach stains. How can i prevent this? I don't have the time/money to run just a load before I put my clothes in. Any suggestions?

Kevin from Philly, PA

it's worth the money (what a $1 or $2) to run a load ahead of you rather than ruining shirts that cost what -- at least $40 total (ok I guessed at the amount but you get the idea).

Use the extra 20 minutes to study :)

Do your whites in the machine first. If there is any residual bleach in the machine it won't hurt anything. Then you can feel safe washing darker clothes the next load.

Thanks! My girlfriend set her jeans down on my laundry for a sec and it had bleach on it! I had distracted her with something else and she went back to find 5 bleach spots on her designer jeans! So we are gonna order those Marvy Fabric Pens and everything is ok! Thanks!

to prevent bleach stains is simple... dont use bleach. there are many effective non-bleach alternatives out there without the risk of permanently ruining clothes

Bleach spots on dark clothes. I have not used bleach in my washer for at least 6 loads and I am still getting bleach spots on my dark clothes. Can this problem be fixed?

ok, I have had 3 of my favorite black shirts get bleach spots on them. What should I do?

p.s. I'm 15, so gimmie a solution that will make sense to a teen :)

Washing your clothes after a bleach load should not do anything to your clothing. Bleach spattered on the top of the machine, and around the rim and especially a top load bleach dispenser--will ruin clothes. Start the water, and let the machine fill while you take a damp handful of towels and wash off the top area, then add your soap, and then your clothes, not touching the top. Now, a front loader, I don't understand how any bleach could get into your wash, although I am having problems with too little water in my he machine, causing spots when adding bleach, but the next load should have nothing to do with a bleach load.