Adding Salt for Boiled Eggs

By Linny 3 1

Hard boiled eggs will peel so much easier if you add salt to the water. I usually add about 1/4 cup salt to a 4 quart pan of water. The salt penetrates the shell but has no effect on the egg. I have tried using "old" eggs, fresh eggs, putting them in cold water before they come to a boil etc.

I learned this while working as a prep cook at a local restaurant. I was shocked when faced with a 5 gallon pot full of eggs that needed to be peeled, the shells slipped right off! It only took about 10 minutes to peel them.

Source: The other prep cook who is a member of the local Hutterite (Menonite) colony that I worked with.

By Linny from Roundup, MT

Filter Sort

By Joan 2 167 Flag

I was taught to add a pinch of salt to the water in case a shell cracked and egg streamed out. The salt would set it and seal the crack. Usually storage eggs that are quickly plunged into cold water immediately after boiling, will peel easily.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Adding Salt For Hard-Boiled Eggs

I always put a teaspoon of salt in my water when I am making hard-boiled eggs. The shells just roll off like butter when you go to peel the eggs!

By Michele from Dallas, Tx

Feedback:

RE: Adding Salt for Boiled Eggs

Thank you for the tip, I will use this one! (02/06/2006)

By meoowmom

RE: Adding Salt for Boiled Eggs

I use this one; however I do one better, add a little vinegar too! Your eggs will not crack from the vinegar, or is it from the salt. Well one keeps them from cracking and one makes the shell peel more easily. I have made tons of deviled eggs in my day, so this is very important! (02/07/2006)

By Debbie52

Archive: Adding Salt for Boiled Eggs

When making deviled eggs for the holidays, those eggs can be hard to peel. Add salt to the water while boiling and they will peel easier.

Source: my grandmother

By dayzee4949 from OH

Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsJanuary 24, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Two brown eggs, one peeled part way, on white background.
Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs
Hardboiled Eggs
Cooking Hard Boiled Eggs
Sandwich With Soft Boiled Eggs
Recipes Using Boiled Eggs
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:42:52 PM on 10.0.0.140 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

CommentsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings