Is Using Bar Soap Safe?

I have a question. I remember many years ago, ads on TV about bar soap (that had been used) harboring germs. Is it true? Or was that just a marketing ploy for SoftSoap? I have spent years being paranoid about using bar soap for handwashing, but I wonder if it is unfounded. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bubbasmom from Paris, OH

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

There are germs everywhere and there is no reason why you should fear bar soap. I use it all the time. It is the friction of rubbing the hands together that kills the germs the soap helps to wash them away. Anyone trying to sale you somthing is not going to give you the all of the facts.

~gloria

From what I've read on the internet and it makes sense, wet soap harbors germs much more than dry soap.

I am 62, my hubby is 65. We both grew up using only bar soap. We still use bar soap and we've never been aware of getting anything from it.

Bar soap in public restrooms is something to avoid!

I am a registered nurse. I have been taught by "Infection control " nurses for years that liquid soaps are preferable in public places. That is why you see liquid soaps in public lavatories and hospitals. Bar soaps in your home are fine, but rinsing it before you are done and storing it is a good practice. Remember it is the action of friction with the soap & water to loosen dirt and germs with a good rinse to "wash" them away. In public don't touch the "dirty"taps after your hands are cleanly washed, get into the habit of using your elbow, back of your forearm or better yet the paper towel you dried with, to turn off the faucet taps.

Just ask anyone that works in the"healthcare" or the "food service" industries the methods they were taught for correct & effective "hand washing" and teach this to children. Teaching children to actively scrub with soap and water for 30 seconds........ until they have sung a specific song like "Row,row,row your boat" is a good way to get them to comply.

Actually the act of friction, soap and water sudsing ,the amount of time , effective rinsing and not avoiding the recontamination at the tap are far more important than "bar" vs"liquid" soap.

I have changed from bar soap to liquid body wash in the shower....No soap scum ! I almost never need to wash the tub.....Great stuff, comes in lots of nice fragrances, doesn't turn into a puddle of goo in the soap dish. Try it!

to me liquid soap is a better deal everywhere. i use it in the tub and to wash my hands no prob

Maybe the best bet is to not be germaphobic. That's been my approach for my entire life and I get colds maybe once every other year and can't remember the last time I had the flu. I've taught in elementary schools, lived and travelled in developing countries and ate bagels with the same hand that held the pole on the subway train in NYC. And I wash with whatever soap is available (and not too often). I have an immune system of steel and attribute that to my carefree attitude toward germs.

Bubbasmom - you have probably already gotten more answers that you ever thought you would, but pleases allow me to input one more thought. I have a bath sponge that I love but worry about the germ thing. I have found that if I sit it with the least amount of it touching a surface as possible that it dries out really fast and completely. Gravity kicks in and pulls all the water out. Don't know if it really helps with the germs or not, but it makes me feel better. LOL

Tonya

I think bar soap is safe. Once you start lathering and using it with hot water, the "germs" disolve. I think any no is better than no soap. The pump on the liquid soap container would have germs, too-and those grow everytime someone uses the pump.

The most important thing is to not touch your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs on your hands can't do much unless you help them into your system by touching your face.

I recently did a study on the effectiveness of bar vs. liquid soap in my bio honors class. We made agar plates in sterilized petri dishes. We then brought in bar and liquid soap. We used 1.8 grams of liquid soap and 1.8 grams of bar soap shavings. we washed our hands in the exact same way with the liquid and bar soap. then we touched our hands to the agar and incubated the petri dishes for 48 hours at 37 degrees Celsius which is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. We then went back the next monday and we calculated the percentage of the germs on the plate. The liquid soap had 4% bacteria covering the petri dish the bar was 11% and the control group was 23% of the area of the agar. Which proves that liquid is by far more effective then bar soap

I am not sure if this is true but heard that there are some bar soaps that can cause cancer especially for women. Is this true? Are there specific bar/liquid soaps that one can use; that will not cause cancer?

I resently did a science project on how effective is bar soap, non antibacteral soap, bacterial soap, and handsanitizer against bactera. The bar soap killed the most bacteria.

Liquid soap and most commercial soaps contain chemicals and detergents that is why some don't leave a scum in your bath etc. Natural bar soaps like Marble Hill's Health Scrub Bar contain only Natural ingredients and are far better for your health. You can find it by searching for Marble Hill Skin Care in Google. I use only Natural products but it is important you get them from bonafide companys.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Washing with bar soap.
Is Using Bar Soap Safe?
Health & Beauty AdviceOctober 27, 2005
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Bar of Soap Stuck in a Toilet
Bar of Soap Stuck in Toilet
Raspberry Bar Cookies
Bar Cookie Recipes
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 11:29:56 AM on 10.0.1.65 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.