Getting Rid Of Musty Smell In Washing Machine

How do I get the moldy, mildewy smell out of my washing machine? It makes the clothes smell awful.

By Patricia from Le Sueur, MN

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Try wiping the inside the drum with some white vinegar.

The Maytag Man told me to run powdered dish detergent (any brand) through my machine once a month (with no clothing in it) and it would do away with the smell. It has worked for me. Hope it works for you!

If it's a front loader there is another outer container that some water sits in so it gets gross. A top loader tends to spin out more of the water so it doesn't keep as much in the washer as a front loader.

Anyway, leave the door open. It helps big time. Run an empty, small load with bleach and use the larger amount.

Ria

For the past week I have added 1/4 cup of baking soda directly into the washer before adding the clothes. After just two days my washer has had no smell. I also keep the door slightly ajar after each use to dry the interior.

I had this problem with a top loader, to the point where the entire basement smelled musty, but it was just the washer. I ran it empty as hot as it gets with distilled vinegar and baking soda. After it filled up, I added about a half gallon of more hot water to bring the water level higher than normal so it covered the accumulated crud at the waterline within the tub. I now add some vinegar and baking soda to towel washes and the like to keep the smell from starting again. We have had a problem with towels smelling bad like the washer, but now they never smelled so good.

The rubber gasket around the door turned out to be the problem I had. I now use a cleaning product once a month to keep the washing machine clean. I got the idea from easythings.org/washing-machine-smells-washing-machine-cleaner-musty-smell The site has a bunch of good info.

Answer

Washing Machine
Musty Smell in a Washing Machine
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsApril 3, 2010
Musty Smell in the Basement
Getting Rid of a Musty Smell in the Basement
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Washing Machine
Extending the Life of Your Washing Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 29, 2016 at 6:12:21 PM on 10.0.2.240 in 555 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.