Getting Rid Of Musty Smell In Washing Machine

By Patricia Loverink 1

How do I get the moldy, mildewy smell out of my washing machine? It makes the clothes smell awful.

By Patricia from Le Sueur, MN

Showing: Answers Sort

By mcw 80 1,752 Flag

Try wiping the inside the drum with some white vinegar.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Dink 3 25 Flag

The Maytag Man told me to run powdered dish detergent (any brand) through my machine once a month (with no clothing in it) and it would do away with the smell. It has worked for me. Hope it works for you!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By REE 1 63 Flag

If it's a front loader there is another outer container that some water sits in so it gets gross. A top loader tends to spin out more of the water so it doesn't keep as much in the washer as a front loader.

Anyway, leave the door open. It helps big time. Run an empty, small load with bleach and use the larger amount.

Ria

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By mary gwost 1 2 Flag

For the past week I have added 1/4 cup of baking soda directly into the washer before adding the clothes. After just two days my washer has had no smell. I also keep the door slightly ajar after each use to dry the interior.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Tom 1 Flag

I had this problem with a top loader, to the point where the entire basement smelled musty, but it was just the washer. I ran it empty as hot as it gets with distilled vinegar and baking soda. After it filled up, I added about a half gallon of more hot water to bring the water level higher than normal so it covered the accumulated crud at the waterline within the tub. I now add some vinegar and baking soda to towel washes and the like to keep the smell from starting again. We have had a problem with towels smelling bad like the washer, but now they never smelled so good.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By robertv 1 Flag

The rubber gasket around the door turned out to be the problem I had. I now use a cleaning product once a month to keep the washing machine clean. I got the idea from easythings.org/washing-machine-smells-washing-machine-cleaner-musty-smell The site has a bunch of good info.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Washing Machine
Musty Smell in a Washing Machine
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsApril 3, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Musty Smell in the Basement
Getting Rid of a Musty Smell in the Basement
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
Washing Machine
Musty Smell in a Washing Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 8:01:59 AM on 10.0.2.72 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings