Getting Rid Of Musty Smell In Washing Machine

How do I get the moldy, mildewy smell out of my washing machine? It makes the clothes smell awful.

By Patricia Loverink from Le Sueur, MN

Best Answer

Try wiping the inside the drum with some white vinegar.

You can use a cup of Bleach or if you prefer a cup of white vinegar. Put it in your washing machine set for a hot wash . This should take care of any adora. If you use bleach make sure your next load is a white load so none of the bleach wash will get on your color load

Best Answer

The Maytag Man told me to run powdered dish detergent (any brand) through my machine once a month (with no clothing in it) and it would do away with the smell. It has worked for me. Hope it works for you!

Best Answer

If it's a front loader there is another outer container that some water sits in so it gets gross. A top loader tends to spin out more of the water so it doesn't keep as much in the washer as a front loader.

Anyway, leave the door open. It helps big time. Run an empty, small load with bleach and use the larger amount.

Ria

Best Answer

For the past week I have added 1/4 cup of baking soda directly into the washer before adding the clothes. After just two days my washer has had no smell. I also keep the door slightly ajar after each use to dry the interior.

I had this problem with a top loader, to the point where the entire basement smelled musty, but it was just the washer. I ran it empty as hot as it gets with distilled vinegar and baking soda. After it filled up, I added about a half gallon of more hot water to bring the water level higher than normal so it covered the accumulated crud at the waterline within the tub.

I now add some vinegar and baking soda to towel washes and the like to keep the smell from starting again. We have had a problem with towels smelling bad like the washer, but now they never smelled so good.

The rubber gasket around the door turned out to be the problem I had. I now use a cleaning product once a month to keep the washing machine clean. I got the idea from easythings.org/washing-machine-smells-washing-machine-cleaner-musty-smell The site has a bunch of good info.