Foods I Can Eat After Having My Teeth Pulled

After having your teeth pulled, you may have a very restricted diet until your gums heal. This is a guide about foods I can eat after having my teeth pulled.

I had 5 teeth removed 18 hours ago and would like to ask if I can eat chicken? When can I start eating normal food? I would like a answer as soon as possible. Thanks.

By Veruschka G

Best Answer

Didn't the dentist give you any ideas about this? That being said I wouldn't want to risk getting food particles in the cavity where the teeth were. I would think cream type soups would be OK, and I also ate a lot of baby food when I had my teeth pulled.

Suggest you call your dentist's office for more information. They should have provided this for you before you went home.

Your dentist should have provided you this info before your teeth were removed, so that you could be able to shop ahead of time and also be alert enough to follow instructions (those given after surgeries are often forgotten).

First, they are all right. You should have instructions before you left the office.

Second, if you want information from this forum "as soon as possible" you won't get it.

Thrifty fun is a great site, but your posts...everyone's posts come in as a first come first served basis, and the posts have to be screened. It would be like posting on here that you need advice because you were broke down on the side of the road. Nothing is going to help you for days, even longer in come cases.

So, first ask your dentist. Then, google it. Then, go to the store and get some instant spuds (Idahoan is my fav'), and make it with too much milk and water. In other words, make some soup that will solidify in your stomach but go down easier. Yogurt, malted cereal or cream of wheat cereal all go down easy and keep you going.

I don't mean to sound like I am picking on you. But, next time something is urgent, don't wait for us. Find a solution fast, get better, then post what you did for us to keep in mind when it happens to us.

Here is hoping you get better. PBP

Anonymous

I eat steak after having mine pulled

I had all removed 4 months ago 3 more surgerys then they said come back in 3 more months I lost 5 lbs so far it's hard to eat

Can I eat bake chicken the day after all my teeth been extracted

Anonymous

You can eat normal food 3 weeks after

What foods do you eat after you have all your teeth pulled out?

By Stacey from GA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

The dentist's office should be able to give you a list (or call and ask).

I can tell you what "not" to eat. My daughter had her wisdom teeth removed and we figured that spaghetti, being soft, would be all right to eat. Not so. A small piece became embedded and resulted in having to go back to the dentist to have it removed. So please be careful. God Bless!

You might want to try doing this with orzo (the small pasta that looks like rice): saute some in a little butter for a minute or so, add a small amount of broth. After it cooks down, add a little more. Continue to add broth and stir until you get a nice creamy consistency. You can add herbs or other flavorings as you like. I use this as a side dish but have found that it's very satisfying since it keeps you full for a long time.

This is a good place for foods to eat with no teeth. http://www.squi  m/soft-food-diet

I'm having the last of my teeth pulled so I can get dentures. From my experience this whole list of meals are easy to consume with no teeth:

-imitation crab

-fish

-casseroles

-hamburger helper

-soups

-cottage cheese

-mashed potatoes

-shepherd's pie

-pulled chicken or pork meat

-tuna (and tuna sandwiches)

-shakes

-smoothies

-most canned food

-diced tomatoes and macaroni

-corn

-chili

-pork chops w/mushroom soup in crockpot

-sushi

-sloppy joe's

-pudding

-jello

-bananas

-- and, of course, ensure

Anonymous

Thank u for the information about what to eat after having teeth pulled it my 4th day from having my bottom teeth pulled getting ready for denture's and my gum's r real sore I boiled me 2 eggs and mashed them up and put cheese in them they tasted real good I'm getting a food processor going to eat meat 4 the first time today r tomorrow being craving fried chicken and a coke cola every thing gos right will be getting denture's in 5 weeks the Dentist offer me denture's after she pulled my teeth but I wonted to wait until the swelling when down and the scitces desolve to get the denture's hope I made a good decision by waiting thank u for being g there for me Google

Anonymous

Thank you. Just what I wanted to know.

Mashed cauliflower with cheese sauce.

I just had all of my top teeth removed,on one side my molar and wisdom tooth were fused together,I wanted to know what was best for me to eat,and what I've ate is exactly what you suggested,Thank you!!!

I had my top teeth pulled 4 days ago and my gums are still sore. I have lost 3 lbs but I am starving to death! I also chose to wait 5 weeks for my dentures!

I had all my teeth removed. What can I eat?

By Peder

Best Answer

Yogurt. Milk puddings. Applesauce. Soups, with crackers or bread soaked or dipped in. (Immediately after, you don't want hot things, but you can cool them off. And you want soups that are blended or with very mushy things for the first little while.) Mashed potatoes or any mashed veggies. Mash or blend things that are soft already, like sardines or even tuna or salmon. Drink Boost or those meal replacement drinks. It is not that other foods are unsafe, but that they require chewing, which you will not be able to do for awhile.

Eggs are good because they are soft. Creamed rice, soft peas. Good luck.

I have to have all my teeth pulled to get dentures, weak teeth run in my family. I was wondering what kinds of food will be soft to eat, that don't require any chewing, besides the usual mashed potatoes, pudding, and Jell-O. Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated, as Monday I will only have a few teeth on top until they pull those, then no teeth.

Thank you!
jmz2005 from IL

Answers:

The best advice I received when I had my last 9 teeth pulled was, start drinking pineapple juice a couple days prior to the extractions. The reason being, and this goes for any surgery by the way, is the pineapple juice contains properties that aid in the healing and the speed of the healing of the wound, or in this case, your gums. And I can testify it really does work. So pucker up, down the pineapple juice, forget the silly adhesives. And welcome to gummersville!
(02/28/2007)

By NanaNewfy

Canned pasta is pretty soft and how about Ensure? (03/02/2007)

By kladybug

What ever you do "don't use a straw"
the sucking can pull out the clot and create a painful dry socket!
(03/02/2007)

By Diana

Soups, chili, soft pasta, mushy casseroles, smoothies (add protein powder to these), bananas, and watermelon. (03/02/2007)

By Linda

Yogurt! (03/02/2007)

By Marna

Soups and ice cream come to mind, also. (03/02/2007)

By hwalz

Try other things like cream soups (let them cool a bit), Instant Breakfasts pureed with bananas work too, as does most anything you can puree. My girlfriend went through this a few years back and had fun coming up with things she could still enjoy just by putting them in her blender, sometimes having to add a bit more liquid then usually. Hope this helps. (03/02/2007)

How about applesauce, yogurt, custard, rice, noodles, tuna, and bananas? (03/02/2007)

By maggiemay

I would think any canned fruit. The peaches and pears are very soft. (03/02/2007)

By sandy63

My mother in law had to have her teeth pulled and after a week or two was dying for something besides mashed potatoes, etc. I came up with a recipe that she loved and while it was still soft, it made her think she was getting "real food". The dish tasted like a tamale casserole. I took a can of meat chili without beans and put the contents in my blender. After the chili was blended I put it in a small pot, heated it, and kept it on warm until I was ready for it. I then cooked a bowl of polenta (or sometimes grits). After the polenta (or grits) were cooked, I stirred in grated yellow cheese until the polenta was a bright, rich yellow. I spooned the polenta (grits) into a baking dish, and made a well in the center. I then put the chili in the center, sprinkled the top with cheese and put it in the oven until the cheese was melted. Voila! A tasty tamale pie with no chewing needed. (03/02/2007)

By Thissie

Good luck with your teeth! I work in a special needs class room and I can tell you that you can puree almost anything in a blender and eat it. It does not look very appetizing, but you can eat oatmeal mixed with pureed fruit, you can puree your meats and vegetables, and you can puree smoothies that are healthy and tasty. So, if you can get over how things look, you can still get good nutrients and get full when you puree what you might normally eat.

My student gets frozen dinners and we puree them sometimes and the kitchen at school purees all the vegetables and the meats for her, also.
I hope every thing goes well for you!
My friend also recommend using a juicer if you have one and supplementing juice concoctions with your meals. (03/03/2007)

By Tina H

I just made tuna noodle casserole and think this would be a good soft food. Soft macaroni and cheese. Rice and shredded chicken, or Spanish rice.

You can over cook any of these to make them softer or add more sauce.

Canned soups of different flavors. Maybe canned pasta like Chef Boyarde.

Maybe these aren't good for the first day or two, but after that should be fine.

Good luck, and I'm one of the people who had a temporary set put in right away. Worked great. (03/03/2007)

By chml

Sorbet, ice cream, apple sauce, squash. Puree some fruits and veggies. Custards. These are some ideas my co-worker and I came up with. I hope these are useful! (03/05/2007)

By madiddyn

Beef Stew. Yum.

Personally, I don't like pureed foods. Something happens to the flavor. I just had my last 3 pulled 2 days ago and I found that I can eat anything, I can comfortably swallow. I just made my normal beef stew, except I cut every thing smaller. By the time it was all cooked (slowly for 2.5 hours) everything was plenty small enough to swallow. For the occasional larger piece, I would just smash it with my fork. I found the same is true with chili and bean soup. And it all tastes so much better. I don't care for prepared foods much so I usually cook my own meals.
(12/06/2007)

By Fred

Stay away from grains or rice, they can get caught in the socket and cause major problems.(02/11/2008)

By trixz.

Martin

I just got 3 teeth pulled today and I made this wonderful baked potatoes with melted butter and mushrooms with a small amount of cheese. Don't forget to let it cool down. I would would stay away from all hot or warm food. (08/12/2008)

By Martin

This site was great and I wanted to share a few more. If you cut the edges (or crust) off of grilled cheese with 2 pieces of cheese per sandwich and only on white bread (wheat is much to rough when grilled) and let it cool for about 2 minutes it's just about perfect to gum it up. A nice tasty treat when you've gone 4 weeks on pudding, apple sauce, cake, ice cream, breakfast shakes, butter biscuits from Hardees, and of course lots to drink.

If you leave the crust on it is much harder to break down with your saliva, but without them they are gloriously tasty and you can actually get full from eating! I was so happy, now after a week I don't have it every day, but almost.

In case you haven't had enough sweets, those peanut butter filled Easter bunnies and Christmas trees are doable too, just don't bite with your soft pallet, that hurts! let it melt in your mouth. (12/04/2009)

By bamatunz

My face is all black and blue with a total of 12 teeth out this week. I have no teeth now. I need to decide if dentures are the way to go. I have been eating scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes with meats puree such as knackwurst and chicken. I do it in the blender with add on broth. I take pudding and add crumb cake. I drink Boost, cranberry, gingerale, and non alcoholic beer. I cut off the crust off white bread and add cottage cheese or butter with jelly. (04/23/2010)

By dealwithit

I just had 7 upper teeth pulled, no more, have to get the plate in about 4 weeks, but I have been trying homemade shakes, with ice cream and milk (eat with a spoon) soft eggs, then I decided I needed some meat. I took a tenderloin pork roast, potatoes with skin, carrots and cooked in the crock pot for about 5 hours, added some butter, smashed up the carrots and potatoes, cut the pork in tiny pieces, mixed together and wow, that was good, had to eat slowly, but well worth the wait. Just make sure the veggies are soft enough to mash up. Just miss the tacos and nachos, try soft flour tortillas with cheese also, and cheese enchiladas is also very easy to chew. (06/18/2010)

By Nurseopal

Just had my last 6 teeth pulled out and now I have none! Some ideas for soft foods are salmon or tuna mornay with melted cheese, junket, mashed pumpkin and sweet potato with mashed potato, tin mangoes mashed, sponge cake soaked in jelly, asparagus mornay, fish steamed or baked in stock, potato or shepherds pie (mince and potato). Also, pure honey is an antibacterial and I have found it helps in healing, mouthfuls of honey on the wounds. Also, add herbs to cooking for healing. (06/28/2010)

By TooflessChik

I just had my teeth removed about two weeks ago. I have been eating baby food , pudding, jello, and drinking protein drinks. The only bad part to me is, I want normal food. But I do feel better. I also drink Ensure, too. All helps in feeling full. I hope this helps. Yes, baby food is like hospital food. Just add salt and pepper or what you like on normal foods. It does help the taste. (07/09/2010)

By mstiger