Uses for Junk Mail

We get so much junk mail on a daily basis that sometimes all you can do is recycle it. However, there are other things that can be done with these unsolicited mailings. This is a guide about uses for junk mail.

October 30, 2009 Flag

I cut the envelope open with a letter opener (unless the flap can easily be opened without cutting). Uses: store coupons, to do lists, store receipts.

If it has see through window on back, with plastic then when I am done with the envelope, I cut that out with border to use for crafts. Put 2 back to back and put a fortune cookie paper inside. Glue 3 sides then fill with confetti or glitter. Seal 4th side = gift tag.

Use the inside and outside to write lists, etc. If it has flap reuse for mailing or see above. The insides: find and cut out my address-use as return label on mailings with glue stick. There is normally an extra envelope or 2 use them! Colorful paper gets saved for crafts; confetti, paper punches and shredded for packaging gifts.

If there is plain paper with a blank side it gets saved for lists or writing on. Any images that can be saved for collage get saved, too. If you have to store anything fragile save the unusable paper and scrunch for protection. Anything else unusable gets recycled!

By Caeridwen from Kent, OH

I too save junk mail and reuse the blank space for everything. I make grocery lists, scrap paper stacks for beside my phone, daily lists, etc.

My latest use for the influx of paper that comes into our home, including newspapers, finished crossword puzzle books, fast -food drink carriers,etc., is as cat litter. The cat hated it at first, then decided that recycling paper wasn't that bad. It's saving me at least $10 a month.

There are about 2,760 search results "for thriftyfun junk mail" on google but handmade paper beads made from security envelopes & also pendants will always top my list ! http://www.google.com/search?hl=en& ... 6&q=security+envelopes+craftzine

Both ideas are awesome. Neither of the ideas are mine. Other uses (just scanning down the results page include): napkin rings,and a tiny house! I love to look at craft ideas & projects! It really starts my heart pumping!

July 1, 2014 Flag

I've mentioned this before but methinks my tip is too cheap and easy for most people to accept.

Substitute for Sticky Pads

August 12, 2009 Flag

I take all the junk mail and newspapers that come to our home and shred it and use it for mulch in my garden. It is very colorful and works great. I will run it through the shredder or let my grandkids cut the paper up. They have a really good time cutting and spreading.

December 7, 2010 Flag

If you are like 98% of all Americans, you get mail you would rather not receive (and I'm not talking about bills - who wants those). Here are a couple suggestions of things to use that unwanted mail for.

September 25, 2008 Flag

I always date mark my cans when I bring them home so I know to use them on time. More and more, labels are too slippery to write on and I hate the smell of markers

putting date on can

May 13, 2004 Flag

I save envelopes junk mail comes in and use it to stash my coupons and shopping list when heading to the grocery store.

May 3, 2006 Flag

The first thing I do upon receiving my AARP magazine is tear out those pesky mail-in reply cards that make the magazine difficult to handle, but before pitching them, I check for blanks. Since I do not regularly stock postcards, these are a handy substitute for business-related needs.

June 7, 2011 Flag

I use the unprinted side of paper from ads, bills, and other letters received to copy and print grocery and drug store coupons. Paper that hasn't been printed on either side is saved for important correspondence.

June 16, 2008 Flag

Before I throw out the junk mail that comes through the post (in the recycling bin of course) I cut out the address.

September 15, 2011 Flag

If it is blank on the other side I use it as scrap paper to write on. If not blank, I put it my recycle bin.

April 30, 2012 Flag

Many of our ads and coupons come in envelopes. Many of the slips of paper inside are printed on only one side! They are all cut the same size, so I pull them out, staple them in the corner and viola a nice tablet!

September 13, 2011 Flag

I want to use junk mail as printer paper. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of a way to fade the writing on junk mail so that I can print something else on it and be able to read it. I would prefer not to use chemicals.

By Comral

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't think you will be able to remove the ink without chemicals; and even if you were willing to use chemicals, it seems the cost and trouble would erase any savings in using your junk mail this way. I don't know about your junk mail; but I know most of mine is printed with colored ink on coated paper; and I don't think you'd be able to re-use that for the printer, at all. You can easily re-use flat paper that only has print on one side, just put that in your printer, so that it will feed with the blank side for printing.

You can recycle junk mail in making homemade paper; but it is not generally suitable for printers, though it is a lot of fun to make and use.

To save money and resources when printing: set your printer to default to "draft" mode, you will save a lot of ink; and also set the default to black and white. (You can choose color or high quality for those occasions when you need it.) Purchase the least expensive printer paper you can, and be sure to print both sides. If your printer cannot do this automatically, only feed one sheet at a time, so you can reverse it and run it through the next page.

Lastly, and maybe most importantly, think twice before printing. Can you save the page to your hard drive instead? Can you copy the information (by hand) onto scrap paper? Do a "print preview" before printing from the internet. Very often, you only want one or two pages, but with all the ads and comments, you get six or eight! If all you want is 2 pages, or specific pages, only print those!

February 18, 2005 Flag

Ideas for using junk mail in a productive way. Post your ideas!

I put a stack in my camper along with dryer lint I save in an empty coffee can. It's great for starting campfires when we are camping. For the mail that comes with return envelopes, I usually rip up the mail in tiny bits and mail it back to the sender in their envelope :-)

February 4, 2011 Flag

Better Living Green Living ReusingOctober 27, 2011
A messy junk drawer.
Organizing Your Junk Drawer
Junk Mail or Email Spam
Preventing Junk Mail or Email Spam
Pile of Junk Mail
Disposing of Junk Mail
Mailbox overflowing with junk mail.
Reducing Junk Mail
🎄