Keeping Brown Sugar Soft

How do you keep brown sugar soft and fresh, not hard?

By Van from Pemberton, NJ

We always kept a slice of bread in with the brown sugar in an airtight container when I was a child, and that always seemed to do the trick!

I buy my brown sugar in a bag, once I open it I try to press out as much air as possible, reseal the bag and then place that bag in another zip lock bag and repeat the process. it also helps to add a small slice of apple in the bag with the sugar.

Keliz, I do the same thing. I keep it in an airtight container and throw the heel of the bread on top. When that gets dry, I replace it with a new piece. It even works if the sugar is already hard. Just take it out of the bag, break it into pieces and put it in a container, throw a slice or two on top, and check back in a couple of days.

I just keep the brown sugar in the bag it came in. When i finish with it i seal the air out, then put an elastic band around it and place it in a zip lock. I also squeeze the air out of it. Rarely does it dry out. If it does an apple slice, or bread will soften it. I throw the dry bread and apple out to the birds when done with it.

I keep my Brown Sugar soft with a small ceramic bear figure that you can get at almost any dollar store or at Meijers or Kroger's in the baking aisle. I also keep it fresh in a small plastic bowl with a tight fitting lid. Works for me!

I keep mine in the original bag in a tupperware bowl sealed tightly. It will last forever. I have done this for years. No messing with MW or bread. Let me know if this works for you.

Wooden Scoop of Brown Sugar
Brown Sugar Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes StorageFebruary 16, 2011
Brown Sugar
Making Brown Sugar
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar