Build Your Own Bed

I have Several Grand kids who live with me. Would like to build two twin beds for them. Cant afford to buy them. any body have any ideas. Thanks, Sharyl

If you hear about anyone getting married, or a couple who is moving in together mention you need 2 twin beds. The man and the women will no longer be using their twin beds, and will be getting a double bed. Maybe you could offer to help them move in exchange for the beds. I have a lot of furniture that I got this way. Or else check out where you can download all kinds of woodworking plans.

Try this: The worldwide (!) Freecycle Network ( is made up of many individual groups across the globe. It's a grassroots movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. Each local group is run by a local volunteer moderator (them's good people). Membership is free. If this sounds good to you , join us and "recycle" unwanted items. One person's trash can truly be another's treasure! Have fun and keep on Freecyclin'!

One rule: everything posted must be free. Whether it's a chair, a fax machine, piano, or an old door to be given away, it can be posted on the network. Or, maybe you're looking to acquire something yourself? Respond to the posting directly and you just might get it. After that it is up to the giver to set up a pickup time for passing on the treasure.

It really is truly amazing what you can do with old palettes. The sort that you get bricks and the like stacked on when they're delivered. I've got a garden gate made from palette wood and you'd never know. My friend and neighbour has made a fence from some too.

You can leave them whole or (with a bit of effort) pull them apart, de-nail them, and use the slats separately.

I've seen futons made from them also. Just collect 3 and put hinges on and fill in big gaps with more slats.

Here in the UK they turn up everywhere and you can usually 'salvage' the broken ones no probs. The only ones you aren't to use are the blue ones, as they are to go back to the company that owns them. I think you can get sued if you are caught using those.

Hope that's of use.

Another idea that I am about to try that I saw on a design show is using an old wooden door (sideways) for the headboard. I got one at a rebuild store for 10 bucks. I will cut it o size, add some posts to the sides and stain it. For about 40 dollars you have a great bed.

I built myself a twin bed once. Not sure if it would work well for children if they were rambunctious. I used 4 overturned 5-gallon buckets. I put atop them an iron bedspring that a neighbor gave me. I put the mattress on top of that. I put a dust ruffle under the mattress and it was just the right size to cover the buckets. It made a comfortable and functional bed with storage underneath.

Does anyone know a good website with 'free' plans for building a contemporary wooden bed

Growing up I had a homemade loft type bed...that was high enough to hang clothes underneath (I worked in clothing retail so my closet was not big enough).

Before I started using it to hang clothes on I had my dresser underneath it alogn with my TV, VCR etc...

Either way, "rise above" and save space!

"Does anyone know a good website with 'free' plans for building a contemporary wooden bed"

Why not just buy bed frames, im sure the kids only care about having a mattress

Make Your Own FurnitureJuly 16, 2004
Bedspring Santa
Making a Bed Spring Santa
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Iron Framed Bed
Fixing a Squeaky Bed
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper