MiscellaneousCleaning

Remove Sharpie Permanent Marker From Stone

Category Miscellaneous

I have red Sharpie permanent marker on my River Rock Stone Fireplace. My son wrote on one of the stones and no matter what I have used it will not come off. I even tried bleach. Any suggestions?

TIC from PA

My 5 yr old son did this with a black sharpie on 3 types of stone at his grand parent's house (YIKES!): grey polished slate, varnished marble bowl, white granite with no finish. It came off of the slate the easiest and the varnished granite using 409, dish soap, and one of those "Magic Sponges". The white marble was porous and soaked in the sharpie dye/ink.

We thought something acid would help. I also tried a paste of Ajax cleanser with no luck. A long soak in an acidic solvent should do it (100% Ethanol at pH 3-5). My son added "eyes" to this white marble female figurine. If soaking the head causes a stain, we'll soak the whole thing. If this works, we'll post it.

As for his grandmother's grudge, nothing will remove that stain.

Good luck.

Try Lysol. I just used it on our stone patio table and it is almost totally gone. You can only tell if you know it was there. I am hoping once it sits overnight and I seal that spot again, you won't be able to see it at all. Good Luck!

Oh, let me be specific, Lysol disinfectant spray. Not any of their other floor cleaning products or the like (sorry, I wasn't thinking).

Use Nailpolish remover! It works like a charm! Rub it on every rock you want to clean 4-5 times then rinse and dry.

Anonymous

This is really useful, worked a treat. Thank you

Anonymous

Amazing

Anonymous

I had red marker on white marble- nothing worked UNTIL I mixed baking soda/peroxide into a paste and glopped it on the satin- held in place with plastic wrap and masking tape at the edges- gave it 24 hours to dry and pull the ink out- and voila ! IT WORKED- stains (25 or so of them) disappeared !!