Helping an Injured Mole

I was sledding with my dad and sister, and my sister found a baby mole. My dad was sledding right where we found the mole. He ran over the mole going down the hill. Now the mole is hurt, and it can't crawl. It needs food, but I don't know what to feed it. What should I do?

Abby from Indiana

You might try feeding the mole with an eye dropper.

I'm not sure what they eat.

If the mole's injuries are too severe the best thing to do is put it out of it's misery.

A vet would be a better judge of that.

Is there a wildlife rescue place near by?

Abby,

Here is a wildlife rehab in Indianapolis, IN

http://www.providencewildlife.org/

Here's one near Warsaw, IN

http://www.animalhelp.com/rehab/sevensheaven/index.cfm

and a link to the Dept of Natural Resources:

http://www.state.in.us/dnr/index.html

Contact the one closest to you and ask what you should do. Many times, wildlife rehab places will take the injured animal in, heal and rehab it, and release it. If the animal is critically injured, they will humanely euthanize it.

Wildlife rehabbers also need volunteers -- if you are interested in learning and helping, let them know!

If you have an injured mole, you should either put it out of its misery, or spend the last few minutes or hours with it if you would like. Either way it is going to die sometime soon.

We found one in my back yard & took it to the emergency vet. It wasn't injured yet but was definitely not in a safe place for a mole. They said they would release it to the state wildlife agency. So I agree w/a wildlife rescue/rehabber etc. You can call local vets to find their #'s. They usually know a rehabber/rescuer's #. Don't just let it die or kill it. That's not humane unless you are a vet.

awww the poor sweet little dear!!! Im so glad you want to help him. Until you find a wild animal rescue person, dont shine bright lights near him as that would hurt his little eyes. some gerbil food may interest him. My dog found one and was trying to hurt it so i ran out there and made him let it get away. I said, dont hurt him, hes blind! LOL

I picked up a mole once ( extremely soft to the touch) and it bit me---- so, be careful.

If it cannot crawl it is seriously hurt and killing it would probably be best.

Found: (rescued more like it) a mole running out of a rising ditch into heavy traffic. want to care for it-still unsure if sustained any injuries. Opportunity for learning(daughter wants to be a vet)**Need some help with what to do next.

Try sunflower seeds. I've fed them a ton of them. Bet they'd really like the ones without shells.

Pets AdviceJanuary 29, 2008
Hand feeding a rescued chipmunk.
Caring for a Rescued Chipmunk
Mole coming out of a mole hole.
Organic Mole Repellents
Chopped Chocolate
Using Chocolate in Recipes
man on crutches
Getting Around While Injured
🎄