Saving Money on Health Care and Insurance

Tips for Saving Money on Health Care and Insurance as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Do Shop Around

Our family has always had health insurance through where I work and have always been grateful for that. My employers cover me and I pay a "group rate" for my hubby and two kids. This fall when our already high premium shot up $140 per month and our deductible doubled, we started asking questions.

We went to an outside company that offered the same insurance (BCBS) and the same coverage, and by signing up my husband and kids with an individual policy, we saved $400 a month. "Group Policies" aren't the stellar deal you'd think they be so ask questions and shop around if you feel you are paying too much. But whatever you do, don't DROP your coverage or go for something second rate to save money!

By FRanticMommy

Keeping Rates Low

1. Do not use any form of tobacco. Most companies raise your rates if you use it.
  2. Maintain an "average weight". They look for things like rapid weight gains and losses and they watch out for those "spare tires", "beer bellies", and "love handles". They do allow a little extra weight; but too much and you will either pay more or be declined.
  3. Pay now or pay later. You can keep your monthly rates low with a high deductible; but, if there is an accident, a heart attack, stroke, cancer, etc can you really come up with $5,000 - $10,000 up front to pay the hospital? Sometimes, a higher premium now can save you a fortune in a couple of years unless you have a nest egg set aside that you are willing to part with later.

By Speakeasy